Purchased the unit, plugged it in, tried to heat water and the machine starting throwing arcs inside and making buzzing electrical sounds. I thought it was going to catch my house on fire. When I called the service number they told me to return the unit immediately and not to try to use it anymore. These machines are not suppose to throw arcs or make any buzzing sounds. Still waiting on replacement (I'm not sure I really want to replace it with the same unit but will give the new one a try, may be replacing with another brand).
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Microwave Glass Trays, : Arcing Inside the Microwave - Microwave Glass Trays ...glass tray, microwave plate, glass trays, turntable, microwave oven, carousel, ...microwave energy, and will eventually it will start producing arcs and put out one heck... the damage is non-repairable and the unit should no longer be operated.
Microwave oven does not respond to START button. First ..... but with the leakage from the spot welded waveguide inside the unit. ... My clue in was a spark between the waveguide and the case, when I was messing with the Controller PCB.) ...
Typically most arcing in a microwave is caused by food splatter. A microwave cannot tell the difference between what is on a plate or on the wall or ceiling. Every food particle in a microwave will continue to cook until it turns to carbon and will attract the microwave energy and focus it to that spot and the unit will arc. Thorough cleaning of the entire microwave cooking cavity and removal of any burn or soot mark will commonly stop the arcing. If your microwave has a painted cavity, you can even use some very fine sand paper to remove any burn mark. Always cover what you are warming and really keep the inside of the microwave clean. If your wave guide cover is made out of the Mica board, and If it has gotten wet from cleaning or from splatter, it must be replaced. You can either order a new one or order a sheet of the mica board and cut out a new one yourself. If the microwave is arcing in the waveguide, generally the unit will need to be replaced. One quick test to see if the unit will work is to remove the bad cover and place a small container of water in the unit, run the machine of a minute or so and see if it still arcs. If it does, the arcing is in the waveguide area, if not it may have just been a problem with the cover. You can run the unit without the waveguide cover in place, it is only there to prevent splatter from getting into the waveguide, so removing it to test the unit is ok. If the area inside the wave guide shows signs of soot and arcing. You can try to wipe that out with some alcohol or lacquer thinner and then try it again. Good Luck.
Some units use a plastic or fiberglass cover over the wave guide where the microwaves are dumped into the oven cavity. If this cover gets coated with food/grease, or soaks up grease, it can arc, or catch fire. If unit is still operating properly otherwise, I would suggest replacing the cover. You need to inspect the wave guide, also, to make sure it is still intact, and there are no cracks in it that would allow microwave radiation to escape.
Maybe. The presence of metallic material (foil, stainless steel silverware, etc.) in an operating microwave oven creates electric arcs between the foil and the inside wall of the oven. And this can destroy the electric components.
These machines seem prone to having a bad magnetron. Look for a circuit breaker near the power cord entry point. If tripped, reset and try to heat a cup of water. If it makes a loud buzz and then pops the breaker again, the consensus view is a bad magnetron. This is one repair that is recommended to send out. (~$150). You need to evaluate the probable cost vs a new machine.
Q - When there is small amounts of food in the oven, arcing occurs right behind the plate where the wave guide comes into the oven. Sometimes it works well and sometimes you can't even put in a bag of popcorn. Any ideas? Could food have 'dripped' in here and be causing a microwave short?
A - Yes! Food splatter or drips can continue to cook and will carbon over creating sparks/arcs from the wave guide cover. Usually can clean up the food on and under the wave guide cover, if the oven liner has been damaged we usually lightly sand and touch up those marks with touch paint. Do not let it go for too long as damage to the magnetron end is possible as well :( If the wave guide cover has been damaged, replace it!
There is a good possibility that microwave energy is leaking near the magnetron tube, or some other high voltage electrical problem is occurring. I would recommend having it tested by qualified microwave repair technician. A few things you can do.... -Make sure the door seal is clean and no corrosion. -Check the interior for rust spots or holes and make sure it's clean inside.
I'm assuming that it doesn't microwave either. If it does...then the heater is bad. Sears parts sells them. Second guess is a blown fuse or thermosensor. Inside the pad housing, locate the internal fuse and replace it if blown. The thermosensor is a black plastic bit about the diameter of a dime and 3/8 inch thick and clamped to the side of the unit inside the control area. Test it for continuity and replace if open. If not either of these, then you have power supply issues or control panel problems. My bet: the heater blew out. Often, this is caused when you heat greasy foods.