Question about Computers & Internet
I just fried my External HDD.I plugged in to the incorrect voltage ...
it was 110 to 220.
i want to know if there is something to do to recover all my photos and my music...
First of all Hi!
This Fixya will help you solve this problem. First of all your hard drive should be still ok but you will require to open the hard drive enclosure and replace the power supply (due to the wrong voltage tapping). Please feel free to follow these fixya's not only to recover your photos but get back a working hard drive!
Solution 1: Check fuses
1. Disconnect faulty enclosure from any mains supply
2. If power supply is INTERNAL you will have to OPEN the enclosure but BEFORE you do that WITH THE hard drive UNPLUGGED TURN ON the power switch to discharge the hard drive's internal power supply
2. Open the enclosure and check for any fuses on the inside. There should be one located close to the power swtich from inside. Change it with one of a similar rating because most probably this is the culprit.
3. Try and power up the drive THIS TIME WITH the CORRECT voltage tapping
4. If the power supply is EXTERNAL you do not need to open the enclosure, just change the power supply with a similar one and you should be up and running again.
Solution 2: But the fuse is ok but there is bbq smell when i opened the enclosure!
1. Ok this means that you will need to get hold of the internal hard drive.
2. If you have another computer check if the hard drive is still ok! Here is how:
- Turn off the computer
- Open case , #
- Hook it up to the Internal IDE cable and the internal power connector
- Turn on the computer.
- You should have this detected in my computer as a new hard drive and you
should be able to see all the data in it
2. But probably you still want this as external dont you? Ok buy another enclosure from a computer shop (this time you will just need an empty one)
3. Plug the hard drive in new enclosure. If you're not experienced enough just give it to them to hoook it up for you and FINALLY you should have the reincarnated buffalo hard drive functional again.
Hope this fixya was of help :)
- Please take some time to rate this solution, really appreiciated thanks :) -
Posted on Jan 07, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 01, 2013 | BuffaloShop Buffalo DriveStation Axis...
Dec 05, 2012 | Buffalo Technology Buffalo MiniStation...
Dec 27, 2011 | Computers & Internet
May 24, 2011 | Buffalo Technology 320GB MINISTATION TURBO...
Nov 04, 2010 | Buffalo Technology 320GB MINISTATION TURBO...
Aug 10, 2010 | Buffalo Technology DriveStation HD-HC500U2...
Aug 09, 2010 | Buffalo Technology DriveStation HD-HC500U2...
Mar 21, 2010 | Buffalo Technology 250GB MINISTATION TURBO...
Dec 18, 2009 | Buffalo Technology 500GB DRIVESTATION...
1,586 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!