Hampton Bay remote for ceiling fan caused an electrical fire
I had a Hampton Bay celing fan remote Model 191-651 from Home Depot. I was working on pllumbing in the master bath and hear a hiss, crackle, and then the unmistakable short circute of electrical in my bedroom. I came out of the bathroom and found flames coming from the ceiling fan. Fortunately I am not only a fulltime Capt on the fire department I was a license electrican. The fire was contained within the fans bonnit and just a little scorching of a ceiling joist. Had I not been home at the time I certenly would have lost my home. Has there been any other fires caused by the Hampton Bay remotes? O' I should also mention that I am a certified Fire Investigator. I am also going to give my findings to UL.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Home Depot/Lowe's etc have a remote kit specific to ceiling fans. your universal remote may not be compatible with your specific type of remote sensor that is up in the base of your ceiling fan. Check a user's manual to see the specifications of your specific Model # of fan to see what requirements they set for it. You would probably be better off just getting a new kit for an average $12 to get it working again.
try turning off the switch/circuit breaker at the main lighting panel. Then just turn it back on. Worked for me. I'm guessing a capacitor in the remote is holding a charge and causing the problem. You'll probably need a new remote soon thiough.
Hello. What you will find is that there is a battery in the ceiling box [where the wires are connected] as well as in the remote control. My bet is that the battery in the ceiling box also needs to be changed. Hampton Bay products all come from the home depot. Go there if you need instructions, they should provide them to you.
Mine just died!!! Can't get the control in side, and they don't have them in stock at home depot anymore here. OK. All hampton bay fan have a lifetime warrenty... they will take mine back, paid $229, but will only get $106 because they had a close out!!! Good Luck!! I know I loved my fan, going to miss it beauty
The fan came with one or more clips and some small weights that easily stick to the blade. Now with the clip you put it in one of the blades, starting from the far end and coming inwards, little by little. Try putting the clip in the middle of the fan and turn on the fan and see if it continues wobbling, if it continues wobbling try moving it to left and right and every time turn on the fan and see what happens. When you find the correct spot, there you glue the small weight.
So you have Hampton Bay fans and universal remotes? If so, then either the remotes are not programmed correctly or the receivers are not wired for the remotes. That is one bad thing about using universal remotes.
I suggest you go to Home Depot and buy one Hampton Bay remote, bring it home, turn of the breaker to the fans, and get on a ladder to get to the receiver. Check the dip switches, and program the switches on the remote exactly the same way.
(While you're at it, make sure the universals dip switches are set exactly the same.)