I cannot open the door i have tried turning the machine off at power point ( be it only for a few minuets) I have set it to "drain" only. I can hear the sound of it being "unlocked" but still it will not open any suggestions? I have an Electolux EW 1087 I purchased May 08.
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Firstly, to get the door open, if you unclip the bottom kick plate, you will find a small green tag hanging down on the right hand side. It is a door lock bypass. if you pull gently down on the tag about a centimetre, while it is pulled down, you will be able to open the door.
Turning to the problem its self, two issues can cause the door to remain locked. In order of which is more likely:
1) While it's ucommon, it's not unheard of that the 3 wire connector that clips to the bottom of the door swich inside the chassis develops a poor connection. Typically, this will cause one of the connectors to arc and burn the connection on the connector and if you're unlucky, the door lock mechanism as well. Remove the lid of the machine. Remove the door lock mechanism by unscrewing the 2 screws that can be accessed through the door aperture and lift the lock mechanism out to examine it (Note that the green tak is on a long strip that connects to this mechanism, so take care to lift this away in conjunction with the lock as you remove it. You may need to replace the connector and possibly the switch too.
2) Since power to the door lock runs through the motor circuit, if the motor brushes are heavily worn, the door lock won't disengage until they are replaced. This is absolutely counter-intuitive and it took me a few years of experience to figure out this little gem!
Most washing machines electromagnetically lock when on a cycle and remain so for a few minutes after it has finished. If you turn the electricity off/switch it off before it has unlocked, the door may not open.
Try turning the power on for a few minutes and see if it will release. If that doesn't work, put it on the shortest cycle, eg spin and wait for it to complete before you turn it offor check their is no water in the drum, if their is check the drain pipe isn't creased. If not pull out your machine if reqd , and check the pump is not blocked, more common than you think. Can be located at the front or back of your machine.
If none of these turn off your socket for 10 mins.
Your door interlock has failed & needs to be replaced.Usually the computer should come up with error code DE error,& if your machine's main p.c.b/computer may have been taken out also,If this is the case it will need to be rewired to fix the problem,hopefully it is just the door lock if not it may cost up to $500 dollars to repair.GOOD LUCK.
michele99, So when you put it on drain, do you here the machine trying to drain the water? After it finishes draining, (you have to wait a few minutes, it should then have a blinking light
on the Finished/Door locked light.
Are you waiting for it to finish?
Mine is crazy too! Sometimes, if I open the soap dispenser it will open, othertimes not. Sometimes, if I pull up on the big, round knob (that you use to turn on the cycle), because it gets stuck down. Once in awhile, I just put it on the last 2 minutes of spin cycle again.