- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix. Due to this malware infecting Internet Explorer,
it is suggested that you use Firefox or another browser when following these
- Before we can do anything we must first end the Total Security process so
that it does not interfere with the cleaning process. To do this we must first
download and install a Microsoft program called Process Explorer. Normally,
we would have you use the Windows Task Manager, but this rogue will disable
the ability to run it. Please download Process Explorer from the following
link and save it to your desktop:
Process Explorer Download
- You should now have the Procexp.exe file on your desktop. You now need to
rename that file to iexplore.exe. To do this, right-click
on the Procexp.exe and select Rename. You can now edit the
name of the file and should name it to iexplorer.exe. Once it is renamed you
should double-click on the file to launch it.
- Once the program is running, you should be presented with a screen similar
to the one below.
- Scroll through the list of running programs until you see a process named
tsc.exe. When you see this process, select the tsc.exe process
by left-clicking on it once so it becomes highlighted. Then click on the red
X button as shown in the image below. Newer versions of this executable may
be using names consisting of random numbers or characters. If you see a process
that is composed of random numbers or characters and has a shield icon
or a padlock icon
next to it, then you have found the process you need to terminate.
- When you click on the red X to kill the process, Process Explorer will ask
you to confirm if you are sure you want to terminate it as shown in the image
At this point you should press the Yes button in order to
kill the process.
- Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following location
and save it to your desktop:
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe.
This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue
with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings
and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish
- MBAM will now automatically start and you will see a message stating that
you should update the program before performing a scan. As MBAM will automatically
update itself after the install, you can press the OK button
to close that box and you will now be at the main program as shown below.
- On the Scanner tab, make sure the the Perform
quick scan option is selected and then click on the Scan
button to start scanning your computer for
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can
take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically
check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear as shown in the image
You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with
- You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should
click on the Show Results button.
- A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown
as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different
than what is shown in the image.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove
all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry
keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM
may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message
stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer
has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the
- When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and
display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the TotalSecurity
program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
to protect against these types of threats in the future.
you are still having problems with your computer after completing these
instructions, then please follow the steps outlined in the topic linked
Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
Associated Total Security Files:
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\TSC.lnk
c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Uninstall
c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Uninstall\Uninstall TSC.lnk
Associated Total Security Windows Registry Information:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "AntiVirusOverride" = "1"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "FirewallOverride" = "1"