One day we smelled the typical odour of burning electrical insulation from a motor winding. The dishwasher had been on for a long time, but had not drained. Further investigation revealed some orange seeds, of perhaps unpopped popcorn, jammed in the very bottom outlet. They had not been caught by the filters. I removed these, and tested the system - it still did not pump out the water at the end of the cycle. The solenoid was popping in and out; and I checked this by moving the float sensor. However, it did not kick in the pump out motor. I suspect that the motor is damaged, but not so badly so that a house fuse was blown. I think that the motor may need to be replaced, but there may be something else I can do.?
Try pouring in enough water to cover the screen in the bottom of the dishwasher, maybe a 2 quarts or so, then run the drain cycle. This should prime the pump and at least tell you wether the drain pump is working or not. Just a trick i've heard and worked for me, not my area of expertise however.
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you had a short in the starter motor windings and held the key, you'd get a click and a burning smell. That would be the insulation burning off the electrical windings. There's a 40-amp max fuse in this circuit.
the smell will be burning insulation on the windings of the motor probably from the brushes being too short and arcing on the armature thereby overheating the motor. suggest you take it to an appliance repair shop for quote on repairs.
Probably build up of dust and lint inside cabinet. You need to unplug dryer, remove back panel and vacuum out lint. If excessive lint found, would indicate insufficient cleaning of lint filter or restricted outflow vent or hose. If odour is electrical smell or burning plastic check all electrical connections and insulators for signs of browning or overheating. Strong pungent smell could be motor winding overloading or burning out. Will need electrician.
Hi, There are couple of things it could be...the most likely is that the motor has gone bad...they will smoke first and then trip the breaker...if you get under the dishwasher you will be able to follow your nose right to the motor is that is the problem... The other possibility would be that the heating element went bad and melted something before it shorted and tripped the breaker...that to your should be able to see rather easily in the bottom of your dishwasher... At either rate you should be able to smell the problem or see the burn marks...
The burning smell is most likely an issue with the blower motor. These small motors have a hard life and the windings can lose the insulation and short out, hence the burning smell. Another problem can arise if the air intake has filled with leaves and other matter which can be ignited by the fan speed resistor creating the smoke. As this matter rots down, it creates chemicals which can erode the insulation on the motor and cause burning and the eventual failure of the motor. The fan speed resistor is a bank of wirewound or solid state resistors wired across the fan motor which give the individual fan speeds. If these fail then you would lose the fan as well. Search out the fan housing as the resistor is usually fitted into this housing to keep it cool.
NEVER turn the fan on if this resistor is out of the housing as it WILL get hot and It can cause a nasty burn..the resistor can have upto 7 wires plugged into it but as to it's exact location, that you will have to find on your own..