Question about HP Pavilion ze2000 Notebook
Most likely it's the keyboard itself and it needs to be replaced. You can try some of the following to see if it helps:
1. TRY USING NOTEPAD IN SAFE MODE.
- Start Windows into Safe Mode. (See here for instructions)
- Open Notepad -- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad.
- Type stuff (try using 4 and 0)
2. REINSTALL KEYBOARD DRIVERS
- Click the Start Button and select Run
- Type "devmgmt.msc"and click OK
- Click the + next to Keyboards
- Right-click on your keyboard and select Uninstall
- Click OK on the window that comes up.
3. Try booting to a linux live USB drive and test keyboard
- Create a Linux bootable USB drive (Click here for instructions using F8 method)
- Start computer from your newly created USB drive (Click here for instructions)
- Open Firefox or some other typing program and test keyboard.
If any of the above steps allow the 0 and 4 keys to work then the keyboard is fine and it's a software issue. Here are some further troubleshooting steps:
IF STEP 1 FIXED THE ISSUE
--Use MSConfig to disable all non-essential startups and start to normal.
--Enable startups one-at-a-time or in groups of 3 until the problem comes back. This tells you the problem is with one of the last items enabled.
IF STEP 2 FIXED YOUR ISSUE
-- You're done, Congrats!
IF STEP 3 Fixed YOUR ISSUE
-- Backup all your files and reinstall Windows.
If however, none of the steps fixed the issue your keyboard is bad and needs to be replaced
Posted on Nov 07, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 06, 2013 | Computers & Internet
Feb 22, 2011 | Samsung Cell Phones
Jan 20, 2011 | Apple iPhone 3G
Sep 28, 2010 | Motorola Mobility H700 Wireless Headset
Sep 10, 2010 | Motorola Mobility H700 Wireless Headset
Aug 10, 2010 | Motorola Mobility Bluetooth...
Dec 09, 2009 | Sony Ericsson HBH-PV702 Wireless Headset
Jul 06, 2008 | Audio Players & Recorders
49 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!