Thanks for your answer re formatting hard drive on my laptop.
It does not work because I don't have the original xp cd , I have another one which won't run because it tells me that the version on my computer is newer than the CD
I tried booting from the Cd but that did not work either
any other suggestions?
Hi, If you REALLY need to FORMAT your Hard Drive, that is...SCOUR out ALL THE DATA on it, then get a CD disk with Win 98 FDISK on it. It can be downloaded by a friend who can BURN it for you. Go into STARTUP by hitting appropriate "F" key, (experiment here...), then tell the BIOS to start up in CD drive..
Save setting, restart, at the C:>: prompt, type "FORMAT C:", & telll it to go... Hang onto your hat, your Hard Drive is being SCOURED CLEAN & prepared for new data to be installed... Dugal
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Installing the external CD Player...
You will go and start up and install Windows XP by doing he following:
Plug in your external CD drive, and let windows install it into the system...
Once the CD is ready to go, shut down the computer.
You will first need to format your hard drive, I will give you instructions on how to do that.
1...To format your hard drive and install XP:
To set you computer back to factory fresh settings you will need to format the hard drive and install the XP operating system and the drivers.
1.Format the hard drive: You do this by double left clicking on "My Computer",then double left click the main drive (normally C drive). When the window pops open, you will choose "Format" Keep in mind that once you format your hard drive you will loose all your files,programs,pictures,etc that you installed since the computer was new. So make your back up on a portable hard drive,thumb drive,etc.
2. Once the formatting of the hard drive is complete you will need to install the XP operating system along with the drivers. You will now insert the CD's into your external CD player starting with #1 first and continuing until all has been installed.
After all has been installed, shut your computer off and restart.
That will bring your computer back to Windows XP factory new condition as far as operating is concerned. Please take time to rate me
1) Insert the new hard drive.
2) Press the F8 key as the laptop boots. This will take you into the BIOS.
3) Locate the disk drive priority setting in the bios.
4) Set Priority 1 to your CD/DVD drive and priority 2 to the 320GB hard drive.
5) Save settings and exit the BIOS. This should reboot your laptop.
6) Insert the Windows XP CD.
7) It should not start the setup as it recognises the CD.
8) I will recommend that you format the drive before you install, go along with the format (make sure it does a full format).
9) After the format it will reboot your system.
10) You will be prompted with a message like "Press any key to boot form CD", DON'T press anything otherwise it will start all over again.
11) Now it should start the install. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Win-to-Flash, a free program, turns a Windows XP cd into a bootable usb flash drive. You will need a USB drive and a Windows XP install CD.
Next, on your laptop, enable booting to USB devices in the BIOS/Setup menu which can be accessed while your laptop is turning on.
Please leave feedback for this answer, thanks.
You need to either reinstall windows, or take the hard drive out, hook it up as a spare drive to a working computer and copy NTDLR to the root of the laptop hard drive. It would be much easier to reinstall windows. You can always use the recovery portion of Windows, but if I were you I would just do a format and reinstall. NTDLR is just a startup file for Windows XP, that does not mean your hard drive is gone or anything. Please don't forget to rate!..Thanks
I think your hard drive which is a SATA drive, needs to be formatted specially for Vista. you need to find out the make and model of your hard drive,and then you can download a hard drive formatting utility program from the hard drive manufacturers website. The hard drive is accessed from under the keyboard on this model.
the cd you are using is not original thats the main problem. if you can get an original cd fine other than that look for a vistacd and use insteed because your machine was designed for vista thanks. rate this solution if it works
In order to format and install operating system again you need a dos bootable floppy or cd to format.... Best solution is that try windows xp or windows vista bootable cd ,it will format your hardd drive and also will install the operating system.... Good Luck. ------------------------------------------- Please let me know your feed-back.