Question about Microwave Ovens
When cooking something that has steam build up during the cooking process, the circuit for the microwave trips, have been able to reset it, but today after resetting the breaker the microwave wont power back on.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: kenmore microwave wont heat food
I would suspect you have a failed high voltage transformer or maybe magnetron.
If you or someone you know wants to look into this, we have critical safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find exploded views and part prices by entering your FULL model number here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jun 08, 2008
SOURCE: microwave won't heat
Sorry my Clarification Request came out as a single blob of a paragraph.
That's not how I typed it. I never write that way!
So I've pasted it here, but as a solution.
Magnetrons generally should last about 2000 hours, but several factors can shorten that.
If it's not OVER ten years old (from the purchase date or the date on the tag inside the unit) then the magnetron is still under warranty.
From the owner's manual:
"For the second through the tenth year from the date of original purchase
"The magnetron tube, if the magnetron tube fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship. During this nine-year limited warranty, you will be responsible for any labor or in-home service costs.
"For the above limited warranty: To avoid any trip charges, you must take the microwave oven to a
General Electric Customer Care® servicer and pick it up following service. In-home service is also
available, but you must pay for the service technician’s travel costs to your home."
GE Customer Service is here, and you can verify the warranty status and find your nearest authorized servicer.
If you're sure the magnetron's bad, it's still under warranty, and you or a friend are handy, they will send you the magnetron to do it yourself. Call them at 888-239-6832.
Be persistent. You may have to speak with a supervisor.
It does sound like the magnetron overheated and the magnetron's thermostat opened until it cooled down.
An overheating magnetron can be due to:
When you hit Start to microwave, do the inside light, cooling fan, and turntable all come on?
Any unusual noises? Is it louder or quieter than usual?
We have a sound clip of what a microwave should sound like when the cooling fan and high voltage section are operating here.
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts if needed by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.
Let us know what you find out or decide.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jul 07, 2009
The circuit is probably a 20Amp circuit (see the number stamped on the circuit breaker switch). Most likely, it is the same circuit as the refrigerator, crock pot, window A/C unit, etc....
Also, if you are using an extension cord or a power strip or a surge protector. Those may not have a high enough power rating.
One other possibility (not likely) is that the circuit breaker is a 15Amp and the microwave is 1500 watts.
What else is cut off when the circuit breaker is tripped?
Solution is to use a different outlet for the microwave, or turn off any other applicance in the same circuit (except the refrigerator, of course).
Hope this helps!
Posted on Sep 16, 2009
There is an internal cartridge fuse, as well as thermal fuses. It is not recommended that you attempt any internal repairs on a microwave due to the presence of very high voltages and the danger of microwave radiation if not reassembled correctly. Residential microwaves, if not under warrranty, are generally considered disposable. Parts and service are very expensive.
Posted on Feb 25, 2010
Testimonial: "Thanks, that was very helpful."
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 23, 2016 | Smeg Microwave Ovens
Apr 14, 2014 | LG LMV1813ST Microwave Oven
Jul 18, 2017 | KitchenAid KCMS1555RSS Stainless Steel...
Jun 19, 2010 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven
Jun 16, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Apr 19, 2010 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Mar 15, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Sep 15, 2009 | Samsung MW5592W Microwave Oven
Apr 14, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 20, 2007 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
35 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!