Question about Televison & Video
I see so many here with no sound/no picture issues:
1. IF sound main fuse/s are good.
2. If no power or standby check main fuse, standby power supply and any signs of damage you can see---burnt parts etc.
3. almost all these sets the troubleshooting involves checking voltages on the main power board to narrow down the problem.
4. Be safe and if you do not know what you are doing don't open the set.
Answers to issues:
1. RE:fuses---if a blown fuse is found get a good replacement(not the generic ones like Radio Shack). Many fuses are special even aside from amperage--Don't put a higher rated amperage fuse in the set for any reason.
2. RE: power supply in set: if total dead aside from main fuse the set uses a standby power supply that runs 7/24 and a main supply (some are combined and some not.
Here aside from checking fuses you want to examine all the filter caps on the power/standby to see if any are puffed up or buldged up in some fashion--I attach a photo of a good one---top should be silver metal and PERFECTLY flat and have no brown material coming out on top or bottom.
What happens in the standby area is they use caps with too low a voltage rating (saves money) which causes them to fail in a year or two---the standby runs 7/24 and the heat dries out the caps and they fail.
3. Trouble shooting consists of the above and then at some point you have to buy and try a board to see if it fixes it or not.
4. Safety first--no TV set is worth getting injured or even killed over. If set is opened at least look for puffed up and bad caps like in this photo.
Posted on Nov 05, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD
May be a bad power supply, which is a common problem with these units.I have a GV42L 42" manufactured in march 2007. It works perfect except the screen has a fracture on it. The warranty is voided because we damaged the screen. I can sell this to somone who has a good screen but needs boards or speakers, etc. Or I will buy your tv that has a good screen but damaged boards in it.
Posted on Sep 06, 2008
SOURCE: GV42L Vizio HDTV Problem
You didn't mention whether you have any audio; details like that can influence the response.
If you have audio but no visible video, look at the screen from an angle for 10-20 seconds to see if any video is present. If you do see some shifting shadows on the screen and have audio, the backlight or its power supply (inverter) has probably failed.
Posted on Nov 19, 2008
SOURCE: Vizio GV42L 42inch LCD/HDTV
there are several possibilities. first if the unit comes on and the "VIZIO" light turns white, but no picture or sound, then the main control board is most likely the issue. could be the LCD control board(s) depending on model one or two. and ultimately could be the power supply on the upper side....if the "VIZIO" light does NOT turn white, the whole power supply unit is out. after that, would have to scope the circuits to find out. Seems that the control board is the most common and tends to happen on many different sizes. new board will be around $350.00. Might get lucky and find a used one, but it MUST be EXACT part or it wont work right. if you dont find one or want to sell yours for parts, id be interested in the screen. can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org. thanks, keith
Posted on Aug 10, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 14, 2016 | Televison & Video
Feb 24, 2015 | Vizio All-In-One CA27-A0 - Core i3 3110M...
May 02, 2012 | Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD Television
Aug 20, 2010 | Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD Television
Jun 25, 2010 | Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD Television
May 15, 2010 | Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD Television
Nov 03, 2009 | Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD Television
Jun 27, 2009 | Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD Television
Jun 26, 2009 | Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD Television
Mar 13, 2009 | Vizio GV42L 42 in. LCD Television
11 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!