Question about GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Everything runs, but the microwave quit heating and there is a low rumble sound and a little smell of burning electronics.
Assuming your inside light and turntable come on when you try to microwave, with the symptoms you
have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier
diode or a bad magnetron, or a loose and possibly corroded connection on the magnetron's terminal.
The diode is a fairly cheap fix, and the mag will cost more.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.
Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:
(if it's not shorted or burned, it's probably okay)
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jan 04, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 26, 2014 | Whirlpool Family Chef Ft339 Full Combi...
Jan 09, 2013 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven
Mar 24, 2011 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven
Feb 09, 2011 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven
Dec 10, 2009 | Sharp R-530ES Microwave Oven
Feb 17, 2009 | KitchenAid KHHS179LSS Convection /...
Jun 02, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
64 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: