Question about Western Digital My Passport Essential 500GB External USB 20 Portable Red 500 GB Hard Drive
It is slowing my computer down and i don't like it. I can return it but how can i use remove my data from it
You plug it in. Right click the drive on windows explorer, then select format. Perform a full format and your data should be gone.
Posted on Nov 04, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Unfortunately, these drives are not made to be dropped.
It sounds like it was damaged by the drop which could have rendered the read/write heads inoperable or mis-aligned.
Contact Western Digital for a warranty replacement.
Posted on Apr 29, 2008
The problem is that your powerbook G4 does not provide enough power to your 160gb passport HD. This does not happens to the new Macs with intel inside.
There are several ways to fix it:
1) Go to West Digital Website and buy a "Power Buster Cable USB" (that connect your 2 USB ports to your passport HD in order to provide more power). I think that it costs 10$. This is the link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/accessories.asp?ProdID=170
2) The other solution is easier. If you have an external USB hard drive with two USB ports, or a DVD/CD burner with two usb ports, you can pug your passport in one of the ports while the other HD or DVD/CD burner is connected to you PowerBook. You will be able to see and use your q60gb Passport HD.
Posted on Oct 25, 2008
both of my vista machines worked perfectly... i am not using the software that came on the drive. as a mass storage device it works perfectly.
Posted on Feb 01, 2009
Try using a Usb 2 cable "The one that came with the WD My Passport " And put it directly to the PC...
In some cases, Like mine, I used an extended cable + the cable that came with the "WD My Passport" and i got the same problem ..
So i simply removed the extended cable and put the put "WD My Passport " directly to the PC with its own cable and the problem was solved to me ..
Posted on Feb 24, 2009
One or more of the hints below will probably sort out most USB problems with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
6. For FLASH DRIVES you should ensure that the device is set for "quick removal" using the drive control panel properties or use the USB "Safely Remove Hardware" option. If you dont do this there is a very strong chance that any files you transfer may not be there when you plug into another computer.
7. It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
You should also do this to cheack the drives connections are not bad inside the enclosure.
8. If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
9. If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
10. ensure that you have set removable drives for "quick removal" or that you use the "Safly Remove Hardware" option often shown on the lower toolbar.It is possible that files my not be fully written to external devices before they are removed. This corrupts the file itself and even on occasion the drive.
Posted on Nov 10, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 01, 2013 | Western Digital WD My Passport Essential...
Jul 14, 2012 | Western Digital Passport Computers &...
Sep 22, 2011 | Computers & Internet
May 19, 2011 | Western Digital WD Passport 250GB Portable...
May 18, 2011 | Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB...
Jan 28, 2011 | Western Digital My Passport Essential SE...
Dec 27, 2010 | Western Digital My Passport Essential...
Aug 03, 2008 | Western Digital Passport WDXML800UE...
Dec 08, 2012 | Western Digital My Passport Essential...
Sep 14, 2010 | Western Digital My Passport Essential...
Jul 13, 2010 | Western Digital My Passport Essential...
118 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: