Question about Microwave Ovens
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: burning odor, no heat
A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.
Posted on Jan 26, 2008
SOURCE: burn at bottom of microwave
First try cleaning the burned mark off. Dip a scrubber in lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it; this is also great for burned coffee pots. The smell can be gotten rid of this way: Boil lemon peel in water, then put the water in a spray bottle. Not only will it make your microwave smell fresh but the lemon oil will make it easier to clean. If it still smells of burning rubber, take the back off and inspect the wiring. IF you see burned wiring, please do yourself a favor and replace the microwave!
Microwaves work by making the molecules in food get "excited"-they move more-meaning, if there IS rubber burning, then there will be minute molecules of rubber in your food, which is BAD for your immune system. If it's just burned chocolate, though, it is harmless unless you are allergic.
Posted on Aug 19, 2008
Hi,It is most likely the magnetron and diode that has to be replaced. This job should be done by a tech, High voltage. Magnetron's normally have a five year warranty, check your owners manual.
Posted on Mar 20, 2009
it sounds to me like the magnetron is shot in it. this is the part that creates the heat. not worth repairing on a 10 year old unit. Sorry.
Posted on Nov 08, 2009
Testimonial: "Thank you great fast advice"
SOURCE: microwave won't heat food
I have a tip at http://www.fixya.com/support/r4223574-microwave_oven_will_not_heat which should solve your problem. It details what is wrong and how to correct it along with where to get the parts you may need. Let me know if you more help.
Thanks for using FixYa
Posted on Mar 03, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 08, 2014 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 31, 2013 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven
Jun 07, 2011 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven
May 15, 2011 | Maytag Appliances Over-the-Range Microwave...
Nov 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Sep 14, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
May 21, 2009 | Samsung MW6575G/MW6574W Microwave Oven
Apr 03, 2008 | Danby DMW1400 Microwave Oven
Dec 05, 2006 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven
207 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!