I want to use a second wifi router as an access point for my XBox
I cannot run cable between my existing Cable Modem/Wireless Router and where I want to set my xbox. So I want to have the 2nd router connect over wifi to the 1st, and I plug my xbox into the LAN port on the 2nd router.
How do I connect the routers over wifi?
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This cable modem only provides Internet access through ethernet or USB (wired connections), if you want to have WiFi, you'll need to add a wireless access point device or a wireless router, this last is the best choice.
XBOX 360 is alredy wifi enabled you dont have to plug a thing in to it, if you want to configure wireless
All you got to do is turn on your wireless router/access point and try to search for available network in Xbox 360 and upon selectin the network it would ask for wireless key (WEP key cab found on the back or bottom of router) punch in the key and bingo...its done
Your box is ready to be wirelessly connected to internet and play online
alternatively if you dont ahve a wirelss router or you are facing difficulty is seraching wireless router or finding the security key
Connect the router to modem > then connect the router and XBOX with an ethernet cable
It will work
Else you can also try connecting the modem and XBOX with an ethernet or USB cable
(However in all the aboove scenario, please ensure the modem is getting the internet link through the normal RJ11 or phone cable, please dont unplug that else though your XBOX would be connected to Modem or router but it wont get internet connection)
You need to "fool" your cable box into thinking that the wireless router is the computer. This just means that the modem is locking into the first ip address it can get... it tends to block out all others. Here's how to remedy and allow everything to get access...
1 Shut off computers, routers, everything. 2. Turn on your wireless router FIRST... leave everything else off until you see it's completely booted. 3. Then with the cable connected to the modem/cable box and the router, turn on the cable box/modem and let it cycle up. This should allow the cable modem to "find" the wifi ip address as the main ip. After that, turn on any other routers, and the computers... This should allow you access to the net by any of your computers because the wifi router should give all the other comptuers and routers on the system inddividual ip addresses and all should be well... Give it a try and let me know! K
I suppose you need to connect the internet using WiFI and not cable DSL . Please follow the below steps. You need to have a Wireless router in place and connect the DSL to the router , then u need to give an IP to the router.
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.
set the second router through the web menus to a different ip address, cant have 2 devices on the same (default) 192.168.0.1 address, try 192.168.0.2 (example only) to stop data collisions
connect by cable secondary router lan port 1 to the primary router lan port 4 (any lan port to any lan port),
drag secondary router upstairs on its cable and install it wherever you want
set two routers on different channels.
set all wep settings on both routers the same.
set all pcs to 'auto channel' select
wireless adaptors in pcs will then select strongest signal at any point and transmit thru that router
Try pressing and holding the reset button in for 15 seconds and unplugging the power cable and plugging it back in. That should reset the router to factory settings. It can also be done through the router's web interface.