Garmin nuvi 50LM is frozen
Why won't my nuvi 30, 40, or 50 go past the Garmin logo screen when I turn it on?
We've discovered a problem with the nuvi 30, 40, and 50 products that
in some cases will prevent them from booting up successfully. A
software fix has been released that will resolve this issue, please
follow the steps below.
Things you'll need
• A PC running Windows XP or newer
• Your nuvi 30, 40, or 50 device
• mini USB cable to connect your device to your computer
• Access to your vehicle and power cable once you have completed the recovery process
Update your Software
1. Download and install the Garmin USB Drivers
2. Download the Recovery Application and corresponding recovery file for
your device, and save them some place easily found, like your Desktop:
o nuvi 30 Files:
nuvi 30 recovery file
o nuvi 40 and nuvi 50 Files:
nuvi 40 and nuvi 50 recovery file
3. Drag and drop the .rgn file on top of the Updater.exe Recovery Application. The application will launch.
4. With your device disconnected and turned off, use your thumb to apply
pressure to the upper-left hand corner of the touchscreen.
5. While still holding the touchscreen, connect the device to your computer using the mini USB cable.
6. The Updater program will detect your device and will list the device in the "USB Device" drop-down menu.
7. Click OK and let go of the touchscreen
8. Your nuvi will now go through the process of updating software. It
may power off and on during this process. Once complete, your device may
display the following message:
The software on the device is newer than the software you are attempting
to install. Installing the older software will erase all user data.
Install the older Software?
If this message appears, please select No.
9. Disconnect your device from the computer and connect it to your
vehicle power cable while plugged into a live power outlet in your
Your device should now be recovered and updated.
Still having problems?
Customers living in the United States or the United Kingdom can follow
the steps below to automatically set up a repair for your product.
Customers living elsewhere can Contact Us for further assistance.
1. Visit the Garmin Repair Center
2. Click 'Go' to enter your device Serial Number
3. Enter your Serial Number twice in the pop-up menu
4. Confirm your model number and Click on your device
5. Select "Power or Battery" as the Problem Category
6. Select "Locks Up, Freezes or Turns Off Unexpectedly" as the Problem Subcategory
7. Select "Frozen on Start Screen"
8. Enter additional notes describing your problem
9. Click Continue
10. Click "Yes" to submit a request for a repair or replacement?
11. Sign in to your myGarmin Account
12. Confirm your shipping address and e-mail, click submit
You will receive an e-mail within 10-15 minutes after completing this
process. Please follow the instructions in that e-mail to complete your
Apr 25, 2012 |