Question about Water Heaters
1) If your water heater plugs into outlet, then electronic gas controls are susceptible to power surge. and reversed outlet polarity, and undervoltage at outlet, lack of ground wire continuity between ground plug and manifold tube connected to bottom of gas control valve.
2) If sediment builds up inside tank, it will cover thermostat probe and cause probe to malfunction.
Tank can have sediment flakes build-up and still drain perfectly clean water.
3) There are 2 general types of Honeywell electronic gas controls valves installed on Whirlpool heaters.
The gas control for atmospheric water heater (passive vent at top of heater) is modular, and is not always removed from tank when replaced.
The other gas control for power vent models is removed completely.
4) Remove thermostat from tank to reveal 3/4" opening.
Look inside tank.
To remove sediment flakes: Tape assorted plastic pipes and tubes to shop vac hose and see if flakes can be removed. And remove drain valve.
5) Check that air intake is clean using feather duster or compressed air, clean combustion parts as shown in product manual. If air intake is clogged with dust, then draft vent is slowed. This causes slowed venting of hot combustion by-product that will overheat combustion chamber.
Typically this condition will trip the FV system. BUT it might also trip the gas control thermostat.
Stand 3-legged water heaters on bricks so inspection and cleaning flame arrestor screen is ez.
Posted on Nov 02, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 27, 2016 | Water Water Heaters
May 11, 2015 | Atwood GE9-EXT Gas and Electric XT 6...
Sep 29, 2013 | RTO Atwood Water Heater - 6 Gal LP
May 24, 2013 | Water Heaters
May 21, 2013 | Water Heaters
Mar 23, 2013 | Rheem 40 Gallon FVR NATGAS Low WATER...
Feb 17, 2013 | Rheem 50 Gallon FVR NATGAS Water Heater...
Dec 06, 2012 | Water Heaters
Sep 30, 2011 | Water Heaters
149 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!