Question about Garmin Nuvi 760 Handheld GPS Receiver
Did you figure out what the problem was with your garmin nuvi? I have the 760 and it turns on but shuts off after "loading maps" msg. I've plugged it into my computer and at first got the Gramin logo with USB connect icon but now it's just a black screen. I tried resetting too. Any advice before I send it back to the mfg.?
I had this problem. I discovered that I was using the wrong lead in the car. The problem resolved itself when I used the lead that came with it.
Posted on Jun 10, 2008
SOURCE: Garmin Nuvi 760
Sounds like you both have a battery problem. I experienced a similar problem when trying to charge via the USB-cable connected to my computer.
Ended up buying an original charger (expensive) and the charging went smooth.
The car charger should in any case work fine, so probably your battery is not very healthy.
Try holding your finger on the battery symbol for about 10 sec. The unit will then switch to a technical page. There you can observe the battery and charging voltage. When I plug in my computer USB-cable, I read around 4,4V and that is not sufficient for charging my battery.
When connected to the original charger, this voltage rises to about 5V which gives a nice charge. When unplugging charger, the unit displays the battery capacity. If the charging voltage is OK, but battery capacity drops quickly after you unplug charger cable, the battery is probably bad. (Of course you have to charge is for some time) I think around 4V battery voltage give 100% capacity. 3,9V gives about 90% capacity.
This will not solve your problem, but can give you an idea about what is wrong.
Posted on Nov 17, 2008
SOURCE: My Garmin Nuvi 255w Car Gps
You must call Garmin at 1-800-800-1020 they will walk you through plugging in nuvi to your computer (must have usb cord) and it will upload then go to my computer and choose garmin drive then click garmin folder and either find the folder they say or make new one like I did with the guy on the phone and put in code. The only information needed is the numbers on the bottom of the device.... super fast fix!
Posted on Mar 12, 2009
SOURCE: Garmin Nuvi 200 Maps Disappeared
Hope this helps!
I wanted to add maps to my 250W. I found the maps I wanted on a Torrent. However, many searches around various forums never revealed how to install these. Found the following through reading and experimentation.
1. Downoaded map image file GMAPSUPP.IMG. Download also gave me "Use code XXX when generating unlock code for maps"
2. Downloaded Garmin Unlock Generator 1.3 by JetMouse
3. Looked on my GPS to find the UnitID
4. Entered the UnitID into Garmin Unlock Generator. Ignore the GM XT device unlock code and the top Generate button.
5. Selected Map Product as Custom and entered the code given for the downloaded image file.
6. Hit the bottom create button to generate a 25 digit code.
7. Download Img2Gps and run
8. Click Load Folder to load the image file. Select the tick next to it.
9. Check the Use Unlock Key option and paste the 25 digit code in.
10. Load a blank SD card into your Garmin
11. Connect the Garmin to your PC using a USB cable. You should see two dirves in windows: one is the Garmin and the other is the "Removable Disk" SD card.
12. Create a folder called "Garmin" on the SD card
13. Select Folder/Card in Img2GPS
14. Click "Copy Maps". Select the folder /Garmin on the SD card. You may need to click copy again.
15. Upload will take a while.
16. You should now see a file GMAPSUPP.IMG on the SD card in the /Garmin directory.
17. Create a new text file called GMAPSUPP.UNL in the same directory (make sure it does not have a hidden .txt extension).
18 copy the 25 digit unlock key into this file.
19. Close the file.
20. Disconnect the Garmin.
21. On Startup it should load your original maps and the new ones.
Posted on Jun 02, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 13, 2010 | Garmin Nuvi 760 Handheld GPS Receiver
Jul 12, 2010 | Garmin Nuvi 760 Car GPS Receiver
Aug 12, 2009 | Garmin Nuvi 760 Handheld GPS Receiver
Jul 17, 2009 | Garmin nuvi 200 Car GPS Receiver
Jun 09, 2009 | Garmin Nuvi 350 Car GPS Receiver
Jan 27, 2009 | Garmin Nuvi 760 Handheld GPS Receiver
Dec 24, 2008 | Garmin Nuvi 760 Handheld GPS Receiver
Dec 14, 2008 | Garmin Nuvi 760 Handheld GPS Receiver
63 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: