Question about Kenmore 62463 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Top of over-the-range microwave hot to touch; normal?

The new Panasonic NN-S255 microwave we bought (not yet installed) gets quite hot to the touch over the magnetron area. The heat lingers for several minutes after a small usage (eg heating a cup of water). Is this normal and is it safe to mount flush against a painted wood surface?

Posted by on

  • 1 more comment 
  • blypow Jan 03, 2009

    Clarification: the internal fan is going; we can hear it and feel airflow along the front top of the microwave, but still the area above the magnetron gets almost too hot to keep your hand on. Maybe this happens with all microwaves; we've never had an over-the-range one before , and we have been using it on the counter for a couple of days to make sure it works before installing it. I just wonder if the heat is normal and if it will blister the paint on the cupboard surface it is mounted to, or be a fire hazard.

  • blypow Jan 03, 2009

    The main fan is definitely running and the heat
    is not from the light. I can feel that the metal is warm for about 40
    minutes directly above the magnetron on the top outside surface of the
    oven. This occurs after heating a cup of water for 3 minutes and then
    unplugging the oven from the wall. I have also verified that the separate magnetron fan is turning. So I'm going to say that I'm being too cautious and cross my fingers that it doesn't get too hot. I'll call Panasonic support just to make sure, but its probably nothing. Thank's for your response and advice. Much appreciated!

  • William Miller
    William Miller May 11, 2010

    This may be from the inside light, but you should be sure the cooling fan is running when it is cooking.

    When I say internal
    cooling fan, I do not mean the hood vent exhaust fan which you can turn
    on and off manually.




    I'm instead talking
    about the internal fan which comes on automatically whenever you
    microwave.



    We have a sound clip of what a microwave should sound like here.


    It is vital that the
    cooling fan runs, or the magnetron will be destroyed.


    Does yours seems to be running?



×

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Kenmore Master
  • 8,865 Answers

A little over 100F is hotter than most folks can stand to touch, so it may not be seriously hot.

But if you're concerned, you might see if your dealer will let you test another one or a similar model at the store to see if it also gets that hot.

Otherwise, you can return it to be safe or you can contact Panasonic consumer electronics support here or at 1-800-211-7262 to ask them about it.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jan 03, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Why isthe fan on my new panasonic Genius over the range microwave is noisy NN-SD277


Check to see if the vent is not jamming the motor. It could be something fell into the fan blabes. It could be a noiy motor and this would be a warranty issue.

Oct 11, 2014 | Panasonic "NN-SD277BR 2.0cuft, 1200 Watt...

1 Answer

No power on microwave panasonic NN-S255


It all depends on your full model number (you left off the suffix) but one version's service manual is here.

In some cases, it is a fuse or thermostat / thermal cutout / TCO, in others a surge has occurred, requiring circuit board repair.

This surge can be from the power line, or due to blown cooktop bulbs.

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

You can order Panasonic parts at
Encompass here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 04, 2011 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

3 Answers

I have a Panasonic Model #NN-S255 microwave oven. The button you push to open the door does not open the door. It's like there is no resistance when you push the button therefore it does not push up...


Hello,To get the door open and salvage your dinner, take a long thin blade ( I used a frosting spreader) and insert from the bottom between the door and the oven frame on the side with the latches (usually next to the control panel). You may have to pry the bottom of the door open just a bit. The object is to push up the lower door latch (which is connected to the upper door latch) and manually open the door. You may have to try a few times but this worked perfectly for me and saved dinner. Obviously the door latch needs to be repaired but this solves the immediate problem of dinner being held hostage by a recalcitrant microwave.
wish you good luck,
take care.

Aug 02, 2011 | Panasonic NN-S255 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My Panasonic Microwave NN-T573SBBPQ cuts out after 3 seconds. what can I do? Or am I better of replacing it?


This sounds like a magnetron problem, if it gets to hot, there is a special thermal fuse that will open up if it senses abnormal temperature rise from the magnetron and after a cool down period it will reset itself. In rare cases I have known the thermal fuse to become defective and cut out prematurely. My feeling is replace the oven! because by the time you get a appliance repairman in for a sevice call and parts you probably could have bought a new microwave oven.

Jan 19, 2011 | Panasonic NN-T990SA Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Main fuse blows when I press start on panasonic nn-255 microwave opened up microwave and see 25 ohms on cn702 of invertor circuit board, what's normal? This would appear to be a short to the 120v supply,...


If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.

You can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here.

I recommend that you bookmark that link to your favorites.

Apr 17, 2010 | Panasonic NN-S255 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My panasonic over the range microwave model NN-S255 suddenly went dead, power cord is fine, is there a fuse that could be replaced in the microwave somewhere?


I have same problem. Disconnect the power. Take the 3 screws out of the top of vented front thus exposing 2 screws that hold down the touch pad .remove them and move touch pad out of the front and out of the way. on the extreme top right within the compartment there is a circuit board that has a fuse on it. replace the fuse and try to restart the microwave. if the fuse blows again you have a major problem probably the magnetron. If you need further help call me (403)870 9110.........Ron

Feb 08, 2010 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Overheating Panasonic NN-E225M


i have seen tisquite a lot, simply try and keep open space behind and ontop and u will be ok.

Jul 05, 2009 | Panasonic NN-T993SF Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Panasonic Microwave NN-A770S getting hot on right side externally


If you described this to Panasonic very carefully, and they said it's normal, then I would say keep using it until such time that you get other symptoms. The inverter has some parts mounted on a large chunk of aluminum called a heat sink. It draws the heat out of the parts and the heat radiates and/or convects away. This keeps the circuit parts from overheating. As long as you have good air flow through the vents, it sounds okay.

Sep 13, 2007 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Range light and oven vent fan


This usually indicates damage to the circuit board of the control unit assembly. We repair these control units nationwide for only $32.50 postpaid. If you decide first to remove or replace the bulbs or check the sockets or wiring, please unplug the microwave first. Failure to do that is usually how the boards get damaged. If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety and disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your base model number (without the suffix) here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383 BUT - I don't recognize NN-2501 as a valid model number. Could you confirm that? Thanks!

Feb 18, 2007 | Panasonic NN-S251 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 62463 Microwave Oven Logo

1,846 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8865 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Jim Thurston

Level 3 Expert

669 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...