Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
My playstation 3 will play playstation 2 games but will not recognize playstation 3 games or blue rays. It does not say disc error or anything it just does not come up with the icon to play
I had a similar problem. My PS3 was not starting the game discs when I
inserted those to the PS3. Also those game discs were not visible in the
I did not have problems with the normal movie DVDs or Movie Blu Rays. Those were working fine.
Actually I was able to start the game disc with a special trick, which required start some application, such as a downloaded game, let it start, and then hit the PS home button. The game disc title then shows up under the game menu and from that point remains viewable until the disc is ejected or the console is turned off.
In case you have the similar problem, I was able to fix this problem by executing the following steps;
The PS3 has a special Recovery Menu, which you can access in the following way;:
1. Turn off Playstation 3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
The current Recovery Menu supports:
• Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION 3 System.
• Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
• Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
• Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION 3.
• Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
• System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION 3 System
Select option "Rebuild Database".
After the PS3 has executed this DB rebuilding operation, the disc games will be visible again under the game menu and are also starting automatically when inserted to the PS3.
Posted on Jun 17, 2009
Definitely a prob with the blueray laser u need to bring it back to shop or sony as there is no way u can fix it yourself.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 22, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Feb 12, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Nov 11, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Nov 04, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Feb 19, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Sep 10, 2008 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
275 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!