Question about Sharp R-1492 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The unit made a pop noise and started smoking and smelled like burning rubber. Is the unit done?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 56 Answers

I WOULD SAY SO! Most likely the power inverter board shorted out.

Sounds like perhaps someone put something with metal inside the unit without knowing and turned it on. Doing this tends to overheat the power inverter board causing a short in the system.

Be safe than sorry, replace the unit with a new one for around $100US. Lowes Home Improvement centers have some that are very inexpensive and are available in brushed stainless steel to match most kitchens.

Cheers,

Keith

Posted on Jan 02, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave smell like burning rubber


Good Afternoon Friend,

I understand that you are receiving a burning rubber smell from your Frigidaire microwave. I also see that your appliance will run for a couple of seconds, and then you hear a weird noise, followed by a burning rubber smell. I suggest contacting your local authorized technician, especially when dealing with your microwave. They will be able to diagnose your appliance and determine what is causing that sound as well as the burning rubber smell. Hope this is helpful.

-Best Regards-
WP

Jun 17, 2014 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Smoke and burning plastic smell in microwave oven


Burning plastic, not food? A component has overheated badly then, with a plastic case. The main suspect would be the high voltage capacitor in the magnetron supply. This is cheap and easily replaced ONLY IF you know what you are doing and can diagnose the fault. If you don't then DO NOT take the case off the unit as fatal voltages can be present inside even if the unit is unplugged.

I'd just buy another, as they are generally uneconomical to have repaired by a service tech.

Dec 31, 2013 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Our JVM1850 makes strange noises, its lights flicker, the microwaves smokes and the unit emits a burning plastic smell. This unit is only 1 1/2 years old.


Hi,


Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Basic
Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101


[\]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Feb 15, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Panasonic NN-T785SF microwave smoking and popping


Not to worry ,Please use a good torch light or lamp to look inside the microwave cabin. On the side where the magnetron is fixed look for any food particles which could have stuck while heating. Use a good cleaning solvent to do this job. You must remove all the roller and plates and clean dry. Once you have done this open the top cabinet with the mains wires disconnected. Look inside the side panels for dirt, insect which have got entangled and cooked. use a good brush and blower to clean dry. If the main capacitor has leaked replace with a similar type. Get help if you are not able to do this as it is a dangeorus section with high voltage. You will get to the smelling part once you had inspected these areas. Replace the part in question, can be even the surge protector at the mains end. Hope this helps. Good day

Jul 19, 2010 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Maytag micro shot smoke. Left burnt smell


That would be my guess t possibly has shorted out.

Dave

Feb 05, 2010 | Maytag Appliances Over-the-Range Microwave...

1 Answer

We have white


there is a component called a spatter gard inside the oven at the point where the microwaves enter......if food or other foreign substance gets stuck there, then it will start to burn ...the smell and popping noise is coming from the spatter gard.....to fix it you must remove the spatter gard..replace it if it's burnt and /or sand paper the spot clean and then paint the area with a high temperature paint called mr. touch up......to protect the bare metal from the microwaves.....hope that helps

Nov 27, 2009 | Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore over the stove microwave will not heat 1996


YOUR MAGNETRON IS MOST LIKELY BAD. THIS IS THE UNIT THAT CREATES THE MICROWAVES.

Apr 11, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

KitchenAid KHHS179lss, fried magnitron?


If your magnetron was shorted, the unit would not heat at all.

The sound of a shorted magnetron is usually a loud hum-- but no or very little smell and no smoke.

Components in the High Voltage section -capacitor, diode- give problems if they short out.

Feb 17, 2009 | KitchenAid KHHS179LSS Convection /...

1 Answer

FLASHES INSIDE OF MIRCOWARE AFTER IT IS STARTED AND MAKE NOISE


It could be a magnetron sparks to the open metal inside the m/w cavity or some broken wire on high voltage side. It is not HV transformer (when burn create a lot of smoke and bad smell). Magnetron needs to be replace.

Dec 03, 2008 | Whirlpool GT1195SH Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sharp R-1492 Microwave Oven Logo

178 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sharp Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Are you a Sharp Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...