An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
Re: my jenn-air microwave makes a LOUD humming noise
More than likely the power inverter board has been damaged and it would be best to stop using it immediately.
Jenn-air products are very good quality and quite expensive to replace. I would contact Jenn-air service and have a service tech dispatched to determine the exact problem and the cost to repair it. Jenn-air stands behind their product 100% and should be able to repair the unit for you.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
microwave is emanating high pitched or growling noises during operation,
the magnetron could be going bad. Normally a nearly silent part, the
magnetron uses high voltage and induces the frequency required to cook
food. Although normally not a safety hazard to operate, this is a sign
that the magnetron is failing and will need to be replaced as soon as
Exhaust fan motorIf
your microwave is making a very loud humming noise during operation, it
could possibly be the exhaust fan motor. If defective the part will need
to be replaced to silence the appliance once more.
leading cause of a noisy microwave is an expired stirrer motor. With use
this part becomes worn and makes a loud grinding noise, which is
usually a leading indicator that the part needs to be replaced. The
stirrer is a metal blade that is slowly turned by the motor. This action
disperses the microwave energy in a random pattern, which heats the
food evenly. If the stirrer motor is determined to be nearing
expiration, it should be replaced to halt the grinding noise.
Turntable motorA very
common cause for a noisy microwave is a worn out turntable motor. This
is a relatively easy repair and will put an end to the noise once
Disconnect the HV transformer leads from the magnetron and the capacitor. Make sure none of the wires are touching the chasis or other parts. If the loud humming sound is still present, it is the High Voltage transformer making the noise. If the noise goes away, it is the High Voltage Capacitor going bad.
*MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG UNIT BEFORE TOUCHING ANY OF THE HIGH VOLTAGE LEADS! ALSO, DISCHARGE THE CAPACITOR BY SHORTING THE TWO SIDES AGAINST EACH OTHER!
sounds like same problem again.... the magnetron is what does the heating and if the display is working and just humming sounds like the mag is not coming on .... could be the capacitor but most likely the magnetron again..... i am a appliance /heating and air company out of texas we work on these things everyday and is very common problem...
thanks a/c and heating unlimited
the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.
You either have a bad magnetron tube (5 or 10 year parts warranty item through GE Factory Service 1-800-432-2737 or www.geappliances.com) or a shorted high voltage rectifier. I think the light being out is a secondary problem.
The noise is coming from the high-voltage transformer being overloaded
by something shorting it out. Either the magnatron or the
high-voltage capacitor and diode. Replace the capacitor and
diode then if still not working, replace the magnatron. Its only
affordable if you do it yourself - buy the part on EBAY - lookup
Hope ya fix it!
Sounds like you just fried your magnetron. Normally when they go bad, they make a very loud noise like what you described. The smell concerns me because you may have ruined the waveguide as well. If the magnetron burns through the protective painted surface of the waveguide, the waveguide is ruined. In most microwave ovens this means replacing the entire unit because the waveguide is not replaceable. Putting a new magnetron in a damaged waveguide will result in the same arcing and eventual failure. In addition to the magnetron, the following components are part of the same high voltage network:
Magnetron Thermal Cut-Out
Any one of these components could have also been damaged. I DO NOT recommend taking any voltage measurements inside the HV network. Potentials of over 4000 volts can be reached and make it very dangerous for the do-it-yourselfer. Taking resistance readings with the unit unplugged is strongly encouraged. If you decide to pursue a repair, inspect the magnetron tip and inside of the waveguide first. If the magnetron is melted and/or there are burn marks inside the waveguide, a new microwave may be a in order. This actually may be a better option than an expensive repair. I hope you find this advice helpful.