Incase you are a victim of counterfeit product of Microsoft then :-
- Purchase a valid Windows XP cd-key online from Microsoft.
- If you can produce high-quality counterfeit media, along with a proof of purchase, you can get a free replacement key from Microsoft.
- Contact your reseller for redress.
- Purchase Windows XP from a local OEM reseller.
- Purchase Windows XP at a retail location.
Notice the word "Purchase" appears in three of those five options. There's almost no way to finagle a free cd-key out of this.
Counterfeit software can come from a number of sources. It's important to use a reputable reseller when purchasing software or PCs that come with software.
And, now the good part :-
Microsoft also offers several options to help victims of counterfeit software obtain a legal copy of Windows, including a complimentary offer for victims who were deceived into buying highy quality counterfeit copies
To help customers who unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Windows XP, Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers for those who qualify:
- Complimentary offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP available to customers who have been sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, the counterfeit CD, and a counterfeit report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.
- Electronic License Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take advantage of, the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to license a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP directly from Microsoft for a special on-line purchase price. The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool that will allow customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically.
For complete details, please click on the foll. link :-
where you will find out how to contact Microsoft for this issue