An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.
Re: cant connect to router from laptop
You first should have the wireless security for your network, if you do not have it, you can just plug your computer to the router and access its setup page through http://192.168.1.1 (by default) the click on the "wireless" tab where you will be able to see the security that you need to have your computer connected.
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Router password is the password to access the router settings. SSID is the network name. When you try to connect to the wireless network on your laptop, you will see this network name. If your network is secured network then it will ask you for the network key or the password. You need to enter the ' security key '.
To connect to your wireless router, it needs the router’s wireless settings configured and also needs the wireless cards in all the laptops and or computers to be configured with the router’s wireless settings. Then the laptops and desktop computers can communicate with your wireless router. To set-up and secure the wireless router from unauthorized access, follow these steps: -
1. Connect the wireless router to your computer with a LAN cable. 2. Start your browser and enter the router's configuration URL IP address. 3. Enter the router setup, login and password 4. Change the admin password 5. Go to the wireless settings and change the default SSID and turn off SSID broadcast. 6. Setup encryption key the strongest is WPA2 (if not then WPA). 7. For further security measures - turn on MAC address filtering and enter the MAC address of the wireless cards on the computer/s you want to connect to this wireless router. 8. Record the settings you have made and keep it in a safe place and Save the settings. 9. Configure the wireless cards on the computer/s with the SSID and encryption settings of the router. 10. Remove the LAN cable between the router and the computer then the computers should be able to connect to the router wirelessly.
To find the Wireless security key you have to login to your wireless router's control panel.
Disconnect your modem and other devices from your wireless router and connect your laptop/PC to your wireless router through ethernet port ( keep your ip settings to automatic in network settings of your Laptop/PC) then type the ip number 192.168.0.1 in your web browser's address bar.
Here you are you will get the login page of your router.Default login id is "admin" and password is "password" if this password is wrong then try with the password "admin".
After logging into the page you will find the wireless security tab.in that you can find your security key.
This can often be an issue with security encryption. There may be a wrong key entered or the client adaptor does not support the encryption used. To try and solve this first change the SSID on your wireless router (get access http://192.168.0.1 user=admin pass= blank (no pass) (default)) so your laptop will be forced to create a new profile. Then set security to basic WEP 64bit and try to connect again.
Update the wireless adaptors drivers. If you have any third party Firewalls, try and temporarily disable them to make sure they aren't blocking it.
can you connect without the security???
if so. configure the router with minimum security. if that is good than go up.
you need to clean out the setting on the laptop first.
delete all of the network that the laptop can find. do a fresh search. click on the router you want ot connect. if you setup the WEP. it will ask for a pass key type in the key exactly as you have on the router (case senstive).
first go to router setting page, for access router page the default ip add is 192.168.1.1 try this first, if the router page is not open then check the default Gateway in u r pc and keep the ip add of ur pc ob tend automatically
1. when the page is open then go to wireless potion>wireless security> 2. then select encryption type WEP > 64 bits 3. then type pass phrase>click on "generate network key" 4. routher will generate 4 network key , select first key as wireless security key. 5. save this settings. now the wireless connectivity automatically disconnected
6. now search the wireless network on u r pc . 7. when u get u r wireless network , then connect to this network now the wireless network key is ask bye system , 8. type the network key which generated by router .
Please make sure that the type of the security on the router should match on the computer as well. Also make sure the SSID on your router is the same in as your computer.
If this does not work, make another profile onto your computer, or simply click on the wireless icon and it should ask you for the security pass, put in the pass and you should be in.
At the moment I would strongly recommend to make another profile on your laptop, right click on the wireless icon, properties, wireless networks, make sure that the use windows to configure is checked and under prefered networks add the profile of the existing router with same SSID and security you are trying to use.
Let me know!
Right click on the network icon in your task bar or in network connections in control panel and click view wireless networks, then when all the networks show, delete them all and close the window, next, a pop up will say found wireless connections click the pop up icon again and look for your connection in the list and click connect and enter the pass phrase Iif you have security enabled.
make sure that your wireless network card works.go
to the settings of your router and set:
wireless network mode:802.11b(or what your car supports)
wireless network name:name
Wireless SSID Broadcast:enabled
wep key:write something
create a new connection to your laptop with the above settings