Flashing horizontal stripes on screen while shooting
The following is from Canon. You can send the camera back for free repair. Hope this helps.
It has recently come to our attention that the vendor-supplied CCD image sensor used in this Canon digital camera may cause the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all. While reports of this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have determined that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and humid environments.
Based on the information you have provided, it appears that you may have encountered this issue. To determine if the CCD (image sensor) is working properly, please follow these steps:
1. Insert a memory card with known good images on it into the camera.
2. Power the camera on to the Playback mode.
3. Press the DISPLAY (DISP) button to enable the LCD panel, and observe the LCD.
a. If the images are displayed properly, please proceed to step
b. If the images are not displayed, or a "NO IMAGES" message appears, please ensure that the memory card contains known good images.
c. If the card contains known good images, and the issue persists with a second memory card, the camera will require service.
4. Switch the camera to the Camera mode. You may use any shooting mode(i.e. Auto, Manual).
5. Press the DISPLAY (DISP) button to enable the LCD panel.
6. Point the camera at a well-lit scene and observe the LCD and/or viewfinder. If the scene the camera is pointed at appears on the LCD and/or viewfinder, the CCD is operating properly. If the LCD and/or viewfinder remain black, the camera requires service.
Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge, products exhibiting the above-mentioned
malfunction if the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of shipping and handling in connection with this repair.
We would like to send you a pre-paid shipping label so that you may send your camera to our Factory Service Center for repair. Please reply to this message with the following information so we may send the label:
1. Full Name:
2. Company (if any):
3. Shipping Address (include Street, City, State and Zip):
4. Phone Number:
5. Digital camera model:
6. Camera Serial Number:
7. Date the camera was purchased:
NOTE: We are unable to ship to a PO Box, FPO or APO addresses.
Once again, your satisfaction with our products is extremely important to us. We are sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused you.
Please be assured we are doing everything possible to ensure your satisfaction.
We look forward to your reply with the information we have requested regarding your Powershot S1 IS.
Thank you for choosing Canon.
Technical Support Representative
Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.
If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email,
you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with
unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362,
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. -
8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).
If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this
message and we will respond as quickly as possible.
Apr 21, 2009 |
Canon PowerShot S1 IS Digital Camera