Question about Kitchen Appliances - Others
I have the above unit. the pilot light is working but the furnace is not kicking on. the fuses are fine and it is switched to heat
its freezing outside and i have 2 babies in the house what do i do???
It could be several things.
The most alarming being a cracked heat exchanger allowing the exhaust fumes to enter the living space.
Exhaust fumes that contain carbon monoxide.
I HIGHLY RECCOMEND that you purchase carbon monoxide detectors, and/or check the batteries in any you might already have.
Carbon monoxide can be deadly at high concentrations.
It could be burning wires, but would smell like burnt rubber.
It could be mold/mildew but would smell musty like dirty socks.
It could be a build up of dust oil etc on the heat exchanger, but that is usually only smelled when it is started up for the first time in months.
Make sure the filters are clean. Dirty filters can cause overheating of the heat exchanger and sometimes cause smells.
This is one of those times I will recommend you have a professional look at your unit.
Specifically the heat exchanger to look for cracks.
A pro will know where to look, where the usual stress points are etc.
Posted on Dec 10, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 09, 2013 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Dec 07, 2009 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Nov 24, 2009 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Mar 19, 2009 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Mar 06, 2009 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Jan 04, 2009 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Dec 10, 2008 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Oct 02, 2008 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
350 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!