Laptop connects to Network but not Internet through Linksys
Help. I finnally got my internet working through the Linksys router but my new Toshiba, running Vista wont connect to the Linksys for Internet. I see the network I think but a big X to the internet. Pleae help.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Make sure that the wireless is turned on, on the laptop. Then go to network settings and veiw wireless networks, or if your running xp double click on the wireless signal on the bottom right corner. Click on your wireless sigal and hit connect and that should be it.
May be your router internet settings has been wrong. you must reset the router settings by clicking the router reset button. Pls locate the button and then put the internet cable into router internet port.
your new laptop is asking a network key as you network(wireless) is a secured one.other laptops have this key already .in order to get the key,please open the internet explorer (or safari) in a working laptop and in the address bar type-192.168.1.1>>it will prompt you the username ,password page->>put "admin" as password and leave the username blank.once you logged into routers webpage,click on wireless tab and then click on wireless security subtab>>you can see the network key there.copy it or write down in a paper>>close that page.
--->>from the new laptop , try to connect,if it prompts network key--enter the key( you got from other laptop),and connect.it will connect and next time it will connect automatically.
try this plug up a line to laptop to modem to check to see if you can get connected if so then make sure you are on the same network and if so then call comcast to help you setup the laptop wireless settings in sound like the settings online doesn't have the laptop enable to accept the laptop
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.