Question about Plumbing

1 Answer

Leaking tub spout single handle volumne/thermostat

Just started yesterday, leaking tub faucet. Shower head is Grohe> cannot get the handle off, no screws visible and no cover? not sure want to pull it off and fine out the replacement part.

Posted by on

  • 9 more comments 
  • kenster_24 Dec 27, 2008

    trying to get pictures uploaded. The Shower head is Grohe, and not sure about the rest of the fixtures. No brand on Handle or Faucet. Main problem is leaking faucet. other problem is figuring out the brand and how to get handle off of fixture. thanks and working on pictures

  • kenster_24 Dec 27, 2008

    here is an overhead of the unit

  • kenster_24 Dec 28, 2008

    head on view, sorry was trying to load this, had some problems. Grohe or Kohler? either way i can't get the head off.

  • kenster_24 Dec 28, 2008

    Excellent Help, will give it a try, but secondary questions is what brand is this fixture, so i can get a replacement part for it? any ideas? and again, great help.

  • kenster_24 Dec 28, 2008

    sanray, man i must say this is my first time on this site and you are extremely insightful. anyways, i'll work on getting it off today, i have 2 kids so shutting water off needs to be timely. Also i am guessing, but the valve is about 6 yrs old. and i'll start looking for a good plumbing outlet.

  • kenster_24 Dec 28, 2008

    i had to reduce the photo size while saving to get it under the 150kb threshold. and it is the only handle, it controls both on off and temp control. thanks for all the help. Now i just need to know what is wrong with it and what part i need to stop the dripping as it is getting worse, i need to shut the water off and remove the pieces. i found a Grohe dealer nearby, but they are not open until tomorrow. 

  • kenster_24 Dec 28, 2008

    so i was able to remove the chrome piece, but the handle did not back off with it? 

  • kenster_24 Dec 29, 2008

    cool, thanks sanray, and i just hit save as and was able to hit a specific file size when saving. 

  • kenster_24 Dec 31, 2008

    yes, i got to a grohe dealer and got a new cartridge. thanks a ton.

  • Ray Coon May 11, 2010

    Is it just the showerhead that is Grohe or is the whole valve assembly Grohe?

    Can you take a digital picture of the valve?


  • Anonymous Mar 15, 2014

    bathroom sink faucet leaking


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 14 Answers

See if you can give me a head on picture.
From the top it looks like it could be a Kohler or Grohe.

Posted on Dec 28, 2008

  • 4 more comments 
  • Ray Coon Dec 28, 2008


    Be sure and turn the water off before attempting to make any repairs to the valve.

    By grasping the handle you should be able to take hold of the chrome piece between the handle and the off indicator and by turning the chrome piece counter clockwise it should unscrew and the handle should back off as you are unscrewing the chrome piece and release itself from the valve splines. Be sure when placing the assembly back together that you get all of the pieces lined up in the same order that they came apart in,

    Depending on how hard your water is, you may need to use a strap wrench and some penetrating oil before trying to disassemble.

    Hope this helps.


  • Ray Coon Dec 28, 2008

    Once you have the handle off take another picture with the handle in place it is difficult to be sure what make it could be.

    If I am not able to identify it I will take the Picture to a friend of mine who may be able to identify it. If you have a good plumbing outlet such as Grovers or Standard Supply they may be able to identify the fixture.

    By the way how old is this valve?


  • Ray Coon Dec 28, 2008

    In looking through my catalogs. This valve looks like the Grohe Seabury trim.

    Is this the only valve, as Grohe has different set-ups where there is a valve that controls the off and on of the water and a seperate valve that controlls the temperature.

    And this one appears fro the pictures to do the off & on plus Temperature. Turning the lever counter clockwise the Temp would get hotter.

    If that is the case one valve I would venture to say it is the Grohe "Grohsafe valve"

    I hope the picture that I tried to include goes through.

  • Ray Coon Dec 28, 2008

    Sorry I am not able to get the picture to post. Says I can only post 150kb and the pictures are over 400kb


    How were you able to post your pictures?

  • Ray Coon Dec 28, 2008

    Here is what I would do.

    Take the pictures that you have, including one with it competely assembled.

    And one with a good shot of the valve itself and take it to the Grohe Dealer.

    You will want to ask for a complete cartridge replacement.

    I would not attempt to remove the valve cartridge until I had the replacement in hand.

    When you are ready to repair the valve, make sure that all of the pieces from the cartridge come out when removing the old cartridge and when installing the new cartridge use a little silicone grease on all of the rubber parts and inside the valve body.

    Take note on how everything comes apart and reverse the process when reassembling the valve.

    These are excellant valves and fairly easy to replace the cartridge on.

    You may want to take the Valve trim with you to make the valve easier to identify for the dealer.

    I hope this helps.

    I need to get a little more savy on how to get pictures to the size they need to be in order to accomodate the file size.


  • Ray Coon Dec 30, 2008


    Where you able to get your problem solved? I hope I was able to assist.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

My shower head comes on all the time

two possible causes. 1- make sure the valve body is installed with with shower mark on the valve body facing up. 2 - if you used pex pipe and fittings to stub out for the tub spout this will restrict the flow sending water to the shower, '' change out pex pipe and replace with copper or galvanized pipe

Apr 06, 2014 | Globe Union Glacier Bay 8 In Double Handle...

1 Answer

Shower head leaks

Yes, the "switch" (to redirect the water to the shower head) is not closing/sealing completely (when you are using the tub spout.) Depending on the spout (model), you may have to replace the part where the "switch" is located, e.g. the spout.

Mar 03, 2014 | Plumbing

1 Answer

I have a Moen tub and shower system similar to the Moen 2919 Chateau two handle above. When I turn on the faucets up to 1/2 way everthing works fine. If I try to increase the water capacity by turning up...

To talk about your problem forces me to assume a few things.....If you allow the water to flow without cartridges and handles, the water must be flowing straight through the cartridge channels and out into the tub. It is not flowing through your tub spout or shower head when you test the water this way. If I'm correct, then the problem is isolated to the water mix operation. That means coming out of your spout or shower head. So now I have to ask a question. When you operate as normal (cartridges and handles installed) does your problem show up only on your shower head or does it also show up when operating out of the tub spout? If the problem is isolated to the shower head, try a head replacement. It may be partially plugged. If it's head or spout there may be something in the mixing pipe that only shifts around as pressure increases. I hope that is not your problem. It would require pulling those pipes out for inspection and most likely replacement. Nimsgame

Feb 19, 2011 | Moen 2919 Chateau Two Handle Tub and...

1 Answer

Single handle shower/bath faucet is dripping. Want

I can fix this.
What is the last thing you did before this problem started?

Jan 13, 2011 | Delta Faucet Delta 172-SSWF Waterfall...

1 Answer

On new Moen shower faucet, when I turn on faucet, water drips from shower also.

The faucet was installed upside down.
The shower riser pipe in the wall is to short( the distance between the faucet and shower head).
One of the biggest problems is if your shower faucet was installed with Pex pipe to the tub spout. Pex pipe will restrict the flow and force the water back up and out of the shower head.
The tub spout must be piped with at least 1/2 brass pipe nipples and fittings, or 5/8 OD. copper pipe and fittings.
Hope this helps, if you further questions please let us know.

Sep 08, 2010 | Moen 3175 Legend One Handle Shower Faucet...

1 Answer

Moen shower valves are failing

the diverter is stuck. you have to move it up and down to free it up. the diverter is the mechanism attached to the tub spout that switches the water from shower to tub. you may also need a new diverter if fiddling with it doesn't work.

Jan 02, 2010 | Moen 3175 Legend One Handle Shower Faucet...

1 Answer

Grohe shower head is leaking. it is a glidebar system. how do you get access to the valve? don't see a allen screw to remove handle. ??

most likely ther is a cover on the handle.if the line is attached to the wall, the cover plate on the shower wall just unscrews. there is no allen key.

Jul 03, 2009 | Plumbing

Not finding what you are looking for?
Plumbing Logo

Related Topics:

359 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Plumbing Experts

Donni Steen

Level 3 Expert

645 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

13819 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

26373 Answers

Are you a Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides