An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: can't reboot dell 4100 dimension desktop
First put the hdd installation cd into the cd drive and try to boot. This should install the hdd driver as well as start formatting the new hdd. After the drive is formatted take out the hdd cd & insert the Windows installation cd into the drive. Boot. Windows should start installing on your new drive. After Windows is installed check the Dell support site for updated drivers for your system. Install drivers as needed. Any other software you had on your old drive will need to be reinstalled to the new drive. Hope this helps & please rate my answer. Thanks.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Remove ALL media from the machine DVD, CD, USB, etc. Check/reseat all Monitor cables. Reboot. If that fails, unplug , plug back in in 30 seconds or so. reboot, if you get a Dell Logo, Open the boot Menu and select Boot from HDD first.
you might have a memory problem... try taking out the memory and reseating or leaving in one at a time, if it boots up , if not take out the hard drive connector and see if it passes the logo and says .. insert boot disk if so.. the you have a hard disk problem.. if the one stick of memory worked ,then you have a memory problem
please try to go to the Bios by following the key shows on startup of your computer and go to boot option and set boot order to the first as hard disk
and remove the floopy from being the first boot
if you are formatting your computer for the first time and if you bought your computer after 2005 then just press <Ctrl> + <F11> keys right at the dell logo on startup, you will boot to dell PC restore. This will restore your computer back to the factory settings including WinXP, all the drivers and softwares.
If you bought your computer before oct 2005: then follow these steps.
1) start you computer and at the dell splash logo tap <Del> key to enter setup. (restart and retry till you see entering setup)
2) select Boot from the tabs above using arrow keys.
3) select boot device priority press <ENTER>.
4) select ATAPI CDROM, <ENTER>.
5). insert WIN XP CD in the top drive of the computer and press <F10> select yes.(this will restart your computer).
6) after reboot you will see " press any key to boot from CD" press any key within 5 sec on this message.
7) Press <ENTER> to install
8) Press <F8> on next screen
9) Press <ESC> on next screen(Options may vary on this screen , read instructions).
10) select partition using arrow keys press <ENTER>
11) select NTFS/NTFS quick, anyone. and press F on the next screen...
this wil start WIn XP set up and concludes the formatting of the HDD with Win XP CD.