Question about Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My problem is much like those I just read about Microwave Ovens sputtering and flashing violently. I was cleaning it and put a metal free wet sponge in it to steam it. After about 50 seconds it began reacting loudly. I pulled the plug and dried it all out. I left the door open over night and the machine unplugged thinking it might be moisture. I went to try it again today and it did the same thing but less dramaticly. I unplugged it immediately. Is it safe to use? I hate things going to the landfill for no good reason. It is a two year old Samsung.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Maytag Master
  • 8,820 Answers

Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck somewhere in the cavity of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

It may also be in the area of the turntable support, coupler, or motor.

The waveguide cover (also called a spatter shield) is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

In some models it is a larger stirrer cover type made of thicker plastic in the ceiling of the oven.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

If yours is a Maytag, you can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

If you don't find your model listed, please reply back with your brand and model number so we can help you.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Dec 28, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

Tip

SOME USEFUL KITCHEN TIPS.....!!!


1) To get much cleaner and sparkling dishes just add few tablespoons of VINEGAR to your
dish-washing detergent....Vinegar is a master in cutting of the grease that helps in getting sparkling dishes easily.

2) To clean the spills in Oven just sprinkle some salt over hem immediately. After the oven has cooled
down, brush away the spills with damp cloth.

3) Smelly sponges are a real mess....to clean them just clean them properly and thoroughly and then microwave it
while its wet. Once you see steam arising from the sponge take it out...and be CAREFUL as it will be too hot.
Wash before reusing it, with water. Be sure that there are no METAL components in the sponge.

4) For removing lime build up and hard water from a teapot, just add 1-2 cups vinegar to some water in
teapot and bring it to nice boil. Sim for 10 minutes and then rinse it out.

5) OLD STAINED SINK....To clean and whiten it just add half cup of salt in it and then scrub it
with a lemon over it to get a sparkling sink as new.

on Apr 09, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My GE Profile Advantium 120 microwave sparks when I try to sterlize a kitchen sponge


Wayne,
If your sponge has any metal in it, that would be the cause of the sparking. The only other thing that could cause sparks is grease built up behind the wave guide cover or the magnetron is going bad.

Jun 13, 2015 | GE Profile Advantium 120 Above-the-Cooktop...

1 Answer

I have a Miele h5080bm microwave oven. How can I clean the grease of the roof and sides of the microwave?


You can put a microwave safe bowl of water in the oven and heat it to boiling, stop the microwave, then leave the bowl of water in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. The steam will loosen the dirt and grease and then it can be wiped with a damp sponge. More stubborn grease my need dish soap on the sponge and a little more elbow grease. Rinse it well with a clean sponge or dish cloth and warm water.

Feb 15, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Is this a self cleaning oven? If so how do you set it to self clean?


Self-cleaning microwave oven?


1195423141886664498machovka_microwave_oven.svg.med.png

Loosen up gunk and grease splattered inside your microwave by following this simple tip. Fill a pyrex measuring cup or other microwave safe bowl with one cup water and put in microwave on high for three minutes. This should bring the water to a boil. Let it set in microwave for several minutes with the door closed.

Then, wet a sponge or soft rag with a tablespoon of vinegar. If you need a degreaser, add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to it. Wipe microwave clean with the rag or sponge. The microwave will practically clean itself. Now that was easy!

Jun 03, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Can you run a microwave with nothing in it? Someone told me that just putting a sponge in it will ruin the microwave.


hi, running it with nothing in it will cause it no harm, the only object that will cause it any harm is if you place anything metalic inside it whilst it is switched on.

to clean a microwave most people place a bowl of clean water inside and put the microwave on high for 5 to 10 min doing this breaks up any grime stuck inside the microwave making it easier to wipe off, you can also put a wet cloth in a bowl and switch it on doing this does the same as a bowl of water.

so the only thing that can cause damage is anything with metal in it this will cause it to short out.

hope that has been some help to you

Aug 18, 2010 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker appears to be sparking inside/top


1.Needs to remove that disk and clean the grease under it.
2. With sand paper clean dark burn spots.
3. Apply touch paint on open metal spots.
4.Put everything back.

Nov 30, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Boiling water


This is not unusual, and it can reuslt in a nasty burn.

It may help if you be sure the sides of the container are wet before you heat it.

Also, after heating, if you push the microwave back and forth a little bit before opening the door, that may trigger the outburst in a safer manner.

Even better, if this happens a lot with a certain container, put a wooden (non-metallic) spoon in the container before you heat it.

Here's an interesting article about this from Snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

And an advisory from the FDA:
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/erupted.html

Nov 18, 2007 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Deep hard core cleaning


From GEAppliances.com: Microwave - Cleaning Recommendations To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug the microwave from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning. Spills and spatters clean up easily with a damp, soapy paper towel or sponge. It is best to clean soil as soon as it appears. Baking soda and water may also be used. If the food has cooked onto the interior, heat one cup of water on full power for three minutes. The heat and steam help to soften the food. After the three minutes, allow five additional minutes stand time then clean as usual. A non-abrasive scrubbing pad cleaner works well for stubborn stains. You may use mild dish washing liquid or cleaners specifically listed for cleaning interiors of microwave ovens such as MicroBryte® (wx10x3030) or Microwave Oven Magic®. We do not recommend using other detergent based cleaners because they can cause the plastic parts to crack. You may purchase microwave interior cleaner by calling our parts department at 1-800-626-2002, on-line from GE Parts or from your local grocer. For stainless steel interiors of microwave/convection models, we recommend a plastic, soap-filled scouring pad. Rubbing gently with this pad will help remove soil. For the door surfaces (both interior and exterior) We recommend you use only mild, non-abrasive soaps, or detergents applied with a sponge, or soft cloth. For the control panel Wipe with a soft, damp cloth. Dry immediately with a soft cloth. Do not spray any solution directly onto the controls Important: Commercial Oven Cleaners, abrasive cleaners, or cleaners containing ammonia or bleach (can make the plastic brittle) should not be used on any part of the microwave. -- From me - Maybe local restaurants in your area would have some tips? Otherwise, try a Google search for keywords: cleaning stainless steel oven

Aug 05, 2007 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Maytag MMV4205  Microwave Oven Logo

103 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Maytag Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Maytag Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...