- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Hello Jim, Believe it not the igniter is the problem,yes indeed it is coming on yet it is not getting hot enough to allow the gas valve to open. By replacing the igniter with a fresh strong one, the oven will work just fine.
I have a GE XL44 oven. It's about ten years old. Oven would not turn on, so I replaced the igniter. The igniter has to light to "tell" the gas to come on. The part was $80 here in Oklahoma and it was super simple fix.
Pull the oven out of it's place and unplug. You can shut off the gas if your buidler placed a shut off valve.
1. The oven door pulls off without tools (I wish I knew this when I cleaned the oven last year) just open the door about three inches and pull toward your chin.
2. Remove the lower storage drawer.
3. Then remove the racks.
4. Remove oven floor. The oven floor comes off with two screws in back, then lift it about an inch from the rear and you can pull the front up, clearing the lip. This is a good time to clean the ten year old food off the oven floor.
5. You will see the aluminum burner. The lower ignighter is attached to the burner. The screws to the ignighter are at an angle, dont try to remove them with out taking the burner out. To remove the lower burner, get on your side and look way in the back of the lower drawer area. Remove the two screws at the very back where the oven drawer goes. You will also unplug the two (2) wires and the then the whole burner will lift up and come out, then you can remove the ignighter screws. Take the ignighter off and take it to a appliance repair store and they will sell you a new igniter. You can look on-line as well.
The new part does not have the connectors like the original, Just cut the old wires in half and pig tail them to the new part. The new part will come with ceramic wire nuts. This whole install takes about an hour, and will save you a service call. It can seem like a hard fix, but once you dig into it, it's pretty easy. Everything goes back together in reverse. This would be a good time to change the light bulb while you are at it.
These are the same type of ignighters that are on everything these days, hot water heaters, furnaces and they are the most likely to go out since they are used quite a bit.
The first thing I would do is turn gas valve off and remove lower panel in floor of oven. With the gas turn off and panel turn oven on high and see if the igniter begins to glow. If not carfully remove and examine for cracks. Use care in removal and replacement of igniters because they appear to be strong yet made of carbon like material and very easily broken.*(not all the same) The part number for yours is Click Here=> 8054129 Ignighter Assembly Use caution and never try this test with gas turned on or with lower oven panel removed while gas is on. Please rate my solution after I have helped you resolve the problem and communicate with me. I am offering my help to you free. If need you may contact me here on Fixya or my Forum=> Appliance 911 My contact information is located above the Fixya Ad on my blog here=> Sea Breeze Appliance Parts and Technical Services, www.pcappliancerepair.com Thanks, Sea Breeze
you need to replace the oven glow bar take out the oven racks in the bottom of the range you will see two screws remove them remove the bottom oven pan underthat is the flame spreader shield under that under it you will se the ignighter at the back of the burner bar just follow the instruct sheet with the ignighter to install and reverse just because the old bar glow-esdon't mean its good just replace it
if your clock and broiler work then you need to replace the lower oven ignighter remove the oven racks then the bottom plate of the oven its easy then the flame spreader after that you will see a burner bar at the back of that will be the ignighter and just because it glowes dont mean its good just replace it
you need to replace the bottom oven ignighter take the racks out then remove lower oven bottom take it out then remove flame spreader and ignighter will be on burner bar get replacement from appliance repair store take model number with you just because it glowesdon't mean its good it should light withen 30 seconds
replace the ignighter bar in the lower oven pull the racks out remove the two screws in the oven bottom pemove the panel under that remove the metel flame spredder the ignighter is at the back of the burner bar get your model number and go to appliance parts store for a new one and follow inst even if it glowes doesnt mean its good it should light the oven whithen 30 seconds