Question about IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
You have not clarified that its a new one or a second hand one. In any case If it has a problem, Please inform ebay about the problem and they'll make the seller pay for cheating you in selling you a defective piece.
Now your problem part .Its true that it can only be established in a repair shop that which one is the culprit the battery or the charging board.But there is one more thing ,i.e. the charger. Borrow from some of your friend just to check if it is charging.Exchange both Laptop and chargers. Then at least you can establish the charger is defective or not. You can also check the charger using a multimeter.
I have got something on net regarding this
Try removing the battery and reinserting it. Make sue it is properly inserted.
If computer is working OK while plugged in, then battery may be faulty. If computer is having problems then maybe power adapter is glitchy.
Clarification added 4 days ago: I also found this if you are running Windows Vista ...
"This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows Vista.
Understanding battery charging issues.
If the notebook battery is not charging or the notebook does not indicate that the battery is charging, the most likely scenario is that the battery itself is operating correctly, but its power management software may have become corrupt.
In order to correct the problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the power management software by using the Device Manager.
This document will explain how to uninstall and reinstall the ACPI Battery listings in Windows Vista, as well as how to obtain and install updated BIOS files, if needed to correct other battery issues.
Uninstalling and reinstalling power management software in Windows Vista
In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power.
The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging."
Clarification added 4 days ago: Another tip I found:
1) Turn off the laptop
2) Remove the battery
3) Hold down the power button for ~1minute
Then everything should work fine.
Clarification added 4 days ago: A similar tip:
(1) Turn on computer w/ AC plugged in like always.
(2) Remove battery (keeping AC adapter plugged in).
(3) Shutdown computer.
(4) Replace battery.
(5) Wait a few minutes, and the lightning bolt icon which has usually been only flashing is now a steady blue while it charges the laptop, then turns off when the battery’s at 100%.
Please rate me appropriately if you are satisfied with my answer,in case, if you want any clarification please get back to me.
Posted on Dec 25, 2008
You may try
1) check the charging light on the laptop in on or blink when the adapter plug in (the adapter should be ok for power on laptop without the battery) the battery fail have to change if the light on., and also have to change the battery if the light blink.
2) there is a charging hardware problem when the charging light nothing show out when the adapter plug in if your adapter can power on the laptop normally.
Posted on Dec 25, 2008
Unforutnately there is no way of telling if it is the battery or the charging board in the laptop. However, 98% of the time, it is the battery because the battery life in a laptop is very short.
Did you find this message helpful? If so, please give a good rating of fixya. Thanks.
Posted on Dec 25, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 01, 2012 | Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 Notebook
Oct 12, 2011 | Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 Notebook
Dec 11, 2010 | Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 Notebook
Aug 13, 2010 | Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 Notebook
Jun 25, 2010 | PC Laptops
Apr 03, 2010 | Toshiba Satellite A135-S2276 Notebook
Mar 18, 2009 | Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 Notebook
Dec 27, 2008 | Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 Notebook
425 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!