Question about Gold Medal 2086 Popcorn Maker

1 Answer

Electric heat thermostat wire melted

Smelled a burning smell coming from 1 of my Honeywell T4700B 4 wire line voltage electric heat thermostats(electronic). Pulled it out and found 1 of the neutral wires melted at the wire nut. Installed a spare thermostat and it seems to be ok. Just wondering what would cause this?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,489 Answers

The cause is a loose wire nut which creates arcing. This is a very common problem and the cause of many fires -- it's a result of low quality work.

Posted on Apr 22, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

Car dashboard lights wont turn on and smell of burning wires


If you're smelling insulation burning - STOP. Fuses should be blowing before insulation melts / burns.

Have the car checked my a trusted mechanic before using anything in the car that makes the wiring burn or melt.

Apr 16, 2014 | 2001 Ford Taurus

1 Answer

Air conditioner heat circuit breaker melted


cut off that burned wires. You may need a new t-stat

Feb 05, 2014 | Honeywell Heating & Cooling

2 Answers

I am installing a new thermostat for my baseboard electric heat. The electric box has 2 wires comming into it. So I have 2 black, 2 white and 2 ground. The old thermostat had a place for all 4 wires (one...


One wire is "IN" the other is "OUT" A Thermostat works by "Breaking" the "Phase" line. It is just that simple. You usually have a pair of wires that connects, on the "Hot" side, to the always power ON line, & neutral. The Circuit, or Load, on the "Cold" side, has a a pair of contacts that open & close depending on Thermostat, in series with that conductor. Hot Contacts Cold P In-------------------><-----------------P Out
N----------------------------------------------------N

Mar 04, 2010 | Honeywell Programmable Thermostat Heater

1 Answer

Smell of electrical burning.. no more heat in house!


First of all keep this in mind.
You will need to locate the wires that got hot. If you can't or if your not sure, I suggest that you call a service company. If they ok the unit and it catches on fire after wards, their insurances will cover you unit and or home if god forbid it burns. This is to be on the safe side.
Now, this is where I would look. Your element should be on it's on circuit. There should be a disconnect within reach of the air handler. Some are fused and some are not. The wires that got hot enough for you to smell them should show signs of being hot like the plastic will be melted around the wire. You said that the heater was running. Was this the first time you have used it this year? If so, are you sure it was not the dust burning off the elements? They will smell like something burning when you first turn them on each year. Although if your sure you smelled wires getting hot, please continue looking for just that. Keep in mind that the elements have 220 volts coming to them. It comes into the unit and go to a switch or relay. From there the power goes to the elements and then to a neutral. These are the wires you will need to pay the most attention to. Good luck.

Nov 23, 2009 | Heating & Cooling

4 Answers

Electrical burning smell in house


Mhenn, It is my guess that the 'electrical burning' smell is from your heating system. Since there is no smoke and the walls are not warm.... then there is no real problem. The smell maybe just dust has collected in the duct work that is burning off the central heating systems electrical heat strips. If you have electrical heat strips then that may be the problem. If you have a central gas heat system, it may be the same type problem. Hope this helps you. Henry

Feb 05, 2009 | Honeywell Electronic Programmable...

1 Answer

Hot electrical smell


take the back panel off and look for the melted peice. then you got it.

Jan 26, 2009 | Frigidaire GLER341A Electric Dryer

2 Answers

Changed out a Honeywell Thermostat with an Aprilaire Thermostat


The smell is usually dust on the wires for electric resistance heat.The thermostat shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Nov 19, 2008 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Lightning struck outside our house last night. Air does not work. Unit outside does but the thermostat smelled like the wires were melting. Husband got a new thermostat but we can't get the unit to come...


lightning is in KVolt range, the exterior unit is most likely damaged at the low voltage cables to the thermostat, melted out, should get a sparky in to trace the lowV lines, and check out the unit, lightning is not forgiving

Jun 22, 2008 | Intertherm Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

LEQ9508PWO breaker pops


IF IT SMELLED HOT, I WOULD LOOK A THE ELECTRICAL WIRING FROM YOUR OUTLET, THROUGH THE ENTIRE DRYER. START WITH PLACES OF EASY ACCESS AND WORK YOUR WAY INWARD. LOOK FOR MELTED OR BARE WIRES THAT MAY HAVE COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE METAL FRAME OF THE DRYER.
TRY SELECTING FLUFF AIR (NO HEAT) AND SEE IF IT WILL RUN O.K. IF IT DOES, I WOULD SUSPECT THE HEAT CIRCUIT. TAKE THE BACK PANEL OFF AND INSPECT THE WIRES AROUND THE HEATER ASSEMBLY.

Apr 07, 2008 | Whirlpool LEQ9858P Electric Dryer

2 Answers

Thermostat installation


On paul 306, I don't have any info on you're system, but the old thermostat that has the smaller wires with the colors you described is a low voltage (24volt) controls. The new one you purchased sounds like it is for a system that is made for line voltage (120 volts or more) connecting this to the unit may have bad results. This also may apply to GUEST.
COACOOCHEE, the white and black coming into the box is the line, even though white should not be used for line, the connections for the other side of the thermostat is the load. The new thermostat you have be a single pole break as opposed to the old one may be a double pole. You should have a meter to check the voltage coming into the box, it may be 120 or 220 depending on what you have. Without any more info I cant be sure, but you may be able to connect the black wires to the switch and the white together. But it would be wise to test with a meter to be sure before doing this.

Nov 16, 2007 | Honeywell Programmable Thermostat Heater

Not finding what you are looking for?
Gold Medal 2086 Popcorn Maker Logo

Related Topics:

620 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Gold Medal Kitchen Appliances - Others Experts

Darren Hanson

Level 1 Expert

2 Answers

Coss

Level 3 Expert

1056 Answers

Ted Maxwell

Level 3 Expert

3519 Answers

Are you a Gold Medal Kitchen Appliances - Other Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...