My T6220 was submerged in water. I waited approx 2 weeks for it to dry out. It will not power up and suspect it is a lost cause however I would like to disassemble to see if I can "clean it up". Removed battery cover and two screws but cannot get upper portion to release. Any ideas?
Open the battery cover, unscrew the two screws towards the bottom. about mid-way up, there is a slot on either side of the radio under where the battery cover would have covered.. there are two tabs that need to be pressed outwards to release the middle. using a small screwdriver (or a blade) gently lift up the plastic display cover- it is only about the thickness of a dime so just barely get an edge and pry upwards.. this will reveal another two screws, unscrew those and you should be all set!
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert that has over 10,000 points.
Re: need to disassemble
Hi, you might want to try (since it is a lost cause) submerged it again in clean water but rather than wait 2 weeks, force dry the entire assembly using hot or plain compressed air and then plain air dry the circuitry. Personally, I also use a solvent and a toothbrush to clean the printed circuit board. Normally after removing the screws, the two halves of the unit is still locked in place by snap hook(s) that is further away from where the screw holes are. To force it to open, you need to slide between the two halves something to pry it open. Care should be exercised cause cases have been known to crack using this method. Also it can not be helped but get scratches and cuts on the surface of the 2 covers. Likewise, carem must be exercised not to cut or huert yourself. Good luck and hope this be of some help to you. Please let me know how this turns up. Regards.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
As a last ditch effort:
1) remove the batteries or rechargeable battery pack. Do not reinstall or try to transmit until the unit is thoroughly dry.
2) Dry the unit inside and out with a towel.
3) Dry the unit more with a blowdryer on low heat.
4) Some have suggested placing the unit in dry rice or silica gel packets for a day or two.
5) Once your are certain the unit is completely dry, you can try batteries in it. If your rechargeable battery pack was saturated too, you will need to replace it.
This radio will still have the likelihood of growing corrosion, which will eventually cause the radio to fail. However, if you can get it dry, you may be able to get some more time out of it, before you need to replace it.
Your batteries are either no good, or not charged. When you press the PTT button it takes more energy than being in standby mode. If you have a battery problem it will fail quickly when the PTT is pressed.
Rechargeable batteries last approx. 18-24 months. Check your battery for a 3-digit date code. It is usually a 3 digit number followed by a couple of letters. The numbers tell the date of manufacture. The first number is the year, followed by the week of the year. 025 would be 2010 the 25th week. (or if very old it could be 2000 the 25th week.)
If you feel age is not a problem, you might check your charger(s) to see they are fully powered, and clear of debris on the contacts (and the radio contacts as well). Clean with a pencil eraser if needed.
A few tips: Be certain when placing your radios on the charge they are turned off. Check your wall outlet to be certain it doesn't get shut off with a light switch. Expect to replace your batteries every 2-3 years.
1) You are using the radio with another model of radio which is set to wideband channel spacing. (The TalkAbout is narrowband.)
2) You have a radio with a problem. (bad speaker, or plugged speaker grill possibly, or an internal issue)
3) The transmitting radio has a problem, or has debris or something covering the mic hole.
The only way to narrow down the problem is to have a third known good radio in the mix. This will let you know which radio is problematic. The TalkAbout models are for the most part non-repairable (other than the TalkAbout Distance models and the T7200 and T7400.)
The electronics in the transmit / recieve circuitry (RF = radio frequency) work very differntly from those in the display and control circuits, which prob ablyexplains why the display works, but not the rest.
The major problem with water in RF circuits is that even after it dries out, it leaves a residue, or worse still some corrosion, which adversly affects the tuning of the RF circuits.
It may be worth trying to dry it out a bit more - put it somewhere warm but not humid like near but not too close to a central heating boiler, for a few days. However, I suspect it is now beyond repair.