Question about Rinnai Desa Vent-Free Infrared Gas Heater: Vent-Free Infrared Gas Heater(18,000 BTU)

1 Answer

Carbon monoxide poisoning?

My husband just bought a pro buddy kerosene space heater @ 175,000 BTU and keeps getting carbon monoxide poisoning. This is for his garage which is large enough to fit a tractor trailer in. The garage is not insulated and is one of the "tent", "greenhouse" types of garages. Is there any way to vent these types of heaters?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 75 Answers

The problem is that it is burning up all the oxygen in the room. That is what makes the CO level high. He needs to either leave a door, or something open, and possible even a little fan to keep the Oxygen that is IN the room mixed. I figure he is working low, and there is not much air moving around him.
Get fresh air INto the room and the CO will not be a bother.

Posted on Dec 23, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

What makes a ventless gas heater put out carbon monoxide fumes

Any gas appliance that burns gas puts out Carbon Monoxide. The trick is to make it not too much, however, how much is too much. Read this;

and there are warnings here too;

and a list of the potentially dangerous gases they omit;

I would not use one unless I had good ventilatioon and a better Carbon Monoxide alarm.

What makes ventless gas heater put out carbon monoxide fumes Google Search

Jan 19, 2017 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

So when a vented gas water heater smells lke kerosine, is there any way to fix it? Or is it time to buy a new one. This ine is only 2 years old.

I am a little concerned here to hear this one, you should never smell anything from a hot water tank! Have you ever had the flue,or chimney checked out? Just a guess but being that this heater is two years old I would say it is a venting problem. Carbon monoxide poisoning comes to mind here, so please make sure you have a clean flue, good and adequate size exhaust pipe off the top and solid connection to the chimney/ exhaust vent.Might I also suggest a carbon monoxide detector in the area of this heater please! You do know that it is an odorless,yet silent killer and there is no price to great to save a life.

Dec 26, 2010 | Procom 10K BTU, Vent Free, 2 Plaque...

1 Answer

Is it safe to use in th basement

I grew up working for my electrical contractor father and we had kerosene heaters such as you have. Another thing, these units must burn kerosene, do NOT use diesel fuel or any other fuel in these heaters, it will not burn cleanly and some fuels might explode. We always used these heaters in a building in winter that was being constructed. By this I mean that there was always plenty of ventilation. We ALWAYS had enough air movement through the buildings to prevent CO poisoning. This is why I will advise you NOT to use this style of heater without there being a way for the fumes to exhaust out of the building. CO (carbon monoxide) bonds faster with your hemoglobin than oxygen does and you can DIE from this. CO poisoning takes months to get out of your system.
So, with a sealed building, I would say NO do NOT use this in your basement.

Dec 07, 2010 | Reddy Heater-170,000 BTU Kerosene Deluxe

1 Answer

The smell is bad. What kind of venting do I need in the garage for All Pro 50,000-85,000 BTU/HR? Does the bad smell mean I;m in Danger?

If you run a propane heater in an enclosed space, such as a garage, you can pass out and die from carbon monoxide poisoning - as well as just a lack of oxygen from running a high-power propane flame. Yes, I would say you are in Danger.

Nov 11, 2010 | All-Pro Propane Garage Shop Heaters - All...

1 Answer

Our basement flooded out and we are now drying it with a kerosene fueled heater that blows heat. We have no ventilation. are there any effects from breathing in the fumes?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This will put out carbon monoxide, which is very deadly.get a dehumidifier.

Feb 17, 2010 | All-Pro Forced Air Kerosene Space Heater...

1 Answer

My reddy heater was running and ran out of fuel at which time it gave off a foul exhaust. Was this exhaust carbon monxide or just the sulfer smell associated with kerosene?

probably both and unburnt fuel also. when the unit ran out it still pumped a small quantity of fuel into the hot burner chamber where it turned to smoke and was expelled. carbon monoxide itself is odorless and what is normally referred to as c. o. odor are unburnt fuel products, some of which smell pretty strange.

Jan 14, 2010 | Reddy Heater-170,000 BTU Kerosene Deluxe

2 Answers

I use a small portable propane heater that has 6

Carbon monoxide poisoning !! do not use !! Get it checked for clogged intake air, as well as have burner checked and cleaned. Obviously running too rich, and intake air supply is getting cut off somehow.

Dec 29, 2009 | Sta Rite Maxi Therm 400k Btu Propane...

1 Answer

Lastnight our monitor 441 heater went out. Our kerosene tank is full. We turned it back on, the ignighter will ignite and it will run for a little while then it will kick off again. Hardware store says it...

It could be carbon buildup, or it could be the oxygen depletion sensor that turns the unit off for your safety if the oxygen levels in the dwelling drop too low.

Try placing the unit hear a window with the window cracked open. Fire it up and see if it behaves differently. Fossil fuel space heaters can be dangerous in very cold weather because they consume large amounts of oxygen and can cause carbon monoxide poisoning - be careful.

A window should always be kept cracked in the are where the heater is operated.

Dec 12, 2009 | Kitchen Appliances - Others

1 Answer

Carbon Monoxide?

Use of these systems have been banned in some areas, so check with local authorities first. They present a higher fire risk then other type of heaters. Secondly always read the manufactures manuals for proper set up and operation.
To answer your question all kerosene heaters emit a threatening amount of carbon monoxide. However an accurate combustion analysis performed by a licensed tech will tell you exactly how much regardless of what the manufacturer may claim. Also different types of kerosene will emit different levels. So definitely read the instructions. Best of luck!

Jan 28, 2009 | Dyna-Glo Heating & Cooling

2 Answers

Burning eyes, can't breathe.

These produce large amounts of carbon monoxide, so you essentially are poisoning yourself. Leave the garage door open part way when using it.

Feb 10, 2008 | Reddy Heater RLP100 Portable Forced Air...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Heating & Cooling Logo

140 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Rinnai Heating & Cooling Experts

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

3328 Answers

vance jones

Level 2 Expert

120 Answers

Tim Whalen

Level 3 Expert

3074 Answers

Are you a Rinnai Heating and Cooling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides