- Open i-tunes on your computer that you sync it to
- Plug in your phone to the computer
- open "Address book" window's address book program. Its under start-programs-accessories
- Back to iTunes
, click on the phone icon on the left
- Click on the Info, and under "Contacts" (the first one) check "sync contacts from" and then pick "Windows
address book" or (Outlook) from the drop down menu
- Click all contacts
- Then at the bottom right of iTunes, click "Sync" It will ask you if you want to merge or replace. Make sure you select "MERGE" or it will delete your contacts on the phone
You have to be careful what options you choose when syncing contacts. With Windows you can sync with Outlook, with the Mac you can sync with Address Book. Always choose merge so it doesn't wipe out your phones contacts.
If you want to upload for the first time from your computer to your phone, there is an option at the bottom of that page where you can replace what's on your phone with what's on your computer (in Outlook or Address Book). It's a one time option.
I highly recommend exporting your contacts from Address Book and backing it up on another drive, or emailing the file to yourself.