How to change lightbulbs and how to get bottom off for cleaning
1. The lighbulbs have never been changed. one is out, and they both seem to have what appears to be glue at the base of each bulb. How does one remove these for changing?
2. I am trying to totally remove the bottom for cleaning. The screws are out, but the bottom is still on. How can I do this?
3. Finally, I would like to know if Goo B Gone can be used on parts to clean them,. It does say to use in a well ventilated area and not to use near heat or flames. What is your advice? Grease Removal?
The product IS valid, MH7140XFB over range microwave Whirlpool
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Is this a countertop microwave or an over-the-rang (OTR) microwave? If it's a countertop model, you need to completely remove the outer case to get to the lightbulb. If it's and OTR microwave, there usually is an access cover located behind the grill vent. You can remove that grille vent by removing the 2 to 4 screws above the grill vent. Then either slide the grill vent 1/4" to the left to remove it, or else (depending on the model), just pull out the top of the grill vent, followed by the bottom. Then you should be able to see the lightbulb access cover. Usually there is 1 screw that you have to remove. But unplug the microwave before you to any further! Now remove the screw, lift up and remove the cover, and you should be able to get to the light bulb.
The folks at GE told me you need a technician to change this bulb. Phooey, I say. It was a piece of cake. Save $ 100 and follow my instructions. I did it. I would imagine most GE microwaves would be similar.
Here's how to do it. I bought this bulb (part # WB36X951) from PARTSTORE.COM for $ 18.58 total (that's bad enough). Got the bulb within a few days.
This model GE microwave, is a stainless model with stainless inside and grilling element.
The bulb is located directly behind the front control panel (on the right), but you need to remove the stainless cover to get to it. Naturally, unplug it first. You'll need one those star bits (not sure what size), a philips head won't work. There's four of those sneaky screws on the rear. Remove those screws and the cover slides off. VOILA! It's magic! The bulb, you'll see, is sealed to a base, but it has as double slide contact. Undo this before removing the bulb. It's snapped into a little fixture. Remove the old bulb and snap new one in. Replace the contact leads and that's it.
The cover is a little tricky to get back seated properly. Along with the sneaky star screws, this is another attempt to discourage consumer servicing. Make sure that the cover is flush with the back before replacing the screws. You're done.
I for one, am tired of this type of this type of rip-off and scamming. I hope this tips helps many and saves some of you from paying a ridiculous service fee.
If this tip has helped you, let know. E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
most times you have to take the outer case off (the stainless steel part) and then you can see all the wires circuitry etc. thats how you get to the light bulb. make sure you unplug the microwave first and do not touch where it says electric shock hazard it will shock you even if not plugged in
simply changing the lightbulb should not cause a problem like that. It sounds like you accidently shorted out two terminals during the process, which probably blew out the power board on the unit. I wouldn't trust it any further unless you were to take the entire unit apart and find the "blown up" component and replace the board that it's on. Believe it or not, it's not that hard a job if you're up to it.