Question about Sharp R-1405 / R-140 Microwave Oven
My microwave oven suddenly just started popping fuses. The fuse is 250v 20 amp. when i put in a new fuse and turn the oven on it sounds like it is going to start for about 2 seconds then the fuse blows. I have killed 5 fuses so far so I believe it is time for a diffrent approach. Any suggestions?
In case it's still helpful, I'll inject a little sanity into the replies.
If the fuse blows as soon as you hit Start, it's probably a shorted high-voltage capacitor. That's usually economical to repair.
If the fuse blows a few seconds after you hit Start, it's probably a shorting high-voltage transformer. That's usually not economical to repair.
It's not radiation (non-ionizing RF by the way) that's the hazard, it's the voltages.
Posted on Nov 05, 2007
I have the same experience in replacing five microwave fuses within two days and cost me almost ten dollars. They are expensive. True somewhere inside the circuit had a short. But I could not find any lead in locating the faults, nothing burnt or smell inside the microwave. However I noticed that this blowing fuse acts happened after I cleaning the inside of the microwave oven with grease removal solution. At last I found a thick grease (over ten years history) covered those switches that behind the door notches. So I disconnected all the connection wires from those switches (make sure to draw a trace map of all wire connection before disconnected them, so you can put them back in order), pull out the switches from the cradle and immersed them in the diluted organic grease removal solution for overnight. Gave them a good clean water bath and dry them good before installed them back to the cradles and connected all wires back. I have been using the microwave for more than two months now, no more blown fuse. Please be aware I am not an expert but just share this with you. The greasy switches might be one of the causes. One final warning, please make sure you have the proper skill and knowledge to do this, otherwise find some friend to help you. Hope this help!
Posted on Mar 08, 2009
Yes a fuse blows because there is an internal short in the unit. The more you replace the fuse and hopes it will fix it, the more damage you may cause and maybe even cause a fire. A fuse blows in a piece of equipment as a safety feature. most fuses do not blow because they simply go bad, they blow because of a problem. First thing would be to check the door switch alighnment. next would be to check the Hi voltage diode and the capacitor, next test should be the magnatron for a short. If you do not have any knowledge on microwaves, call in a pro to assist you in this repair ans there is alot of high voltage inside this puppy. Good Luck
Posted on Apr 08, 2007
Throw the darn Microwave out before you kill yourself with Radiation. Blown Fuse is a sign of Sorted circuit to ground. With a microwave they are cheap now a days and does not warrant the risk.
Posted on Apr 18, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 30, 2017 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens
Dec 06, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens
Dec 22, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 07, 2012 | Magic Chef CMV1100 Microwave Oven
Sep 17, 2009 | Viking VMOC205SS Microwave Oven
May 22, 2009 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...
Apr 27, 2009 | Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven
Nov 24, 2008 | Emerson Black Microwave Oven
3,309 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!