Question about Kenmore 53642 / 53644 Side by Side Refrigerator
How do I fix?
Thanks to all who spent money or shared their experience to have somebody do this repair, and I really mean it.
I have a Whirlpool TopLoad Fridge (not a side by side).
Things you'll need
Small socket for cardboard panel on lower back and panel inside freezer
1. Take everything out of freezer
2. Turn dials off in fridge for both compartments
3. Pull fridge out so you can get behind it and unplug it
4. Be vigilant of ice maker line if installed
5. Pull cardboard panel off on back
On the left side you should see the back of the skinny drip pan and a small line. That line goes from the freezer and is most likely clogged.
6. Blow dry the back of the freezer enough so the ice is thawed at the bottom of the back panel.
7. Remove the two screws on the back panel. You may just be able to pull it toward you enough to get behind it. You'll see the coils and fan, and underneath these you may see some ice sheets and there should be a hole. That is the drain line that is clogged. I heated up some water and poured it over the drain to thaw the line. You may want to remove the crisper drawers and put some towels down there to catch the overflow. Once the ice is thawed enough at the drain. Go to the back of the fridge and place the end of the bicycle pump at the bottom of the drain hose. Apply pressure to get a good seal but keep pumping. You may have to go back and forth between pumping and thawing, but you'll know it is clear when you hear air going into the freezer and then the wonderful moment when water drips into the drip pan as advertised!
Keep those fridges less full so that the door stays sealed and keep the seal clean and also keep your doors from having too much stuff so the weight of the door doesn't pull away.
Okay, put it back together, turn everything on and be careful of your cord and lines when pushing the fridge back. Thank the Lord ours has wheels and man,was it cruddy underneath. Vacuum those coils underneath the fridge too for proper air circulation.
Blessings to you!
Posted on Jan 11, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 27, 2017 | Samsung Refrigerators
Sep 29, 2015 | LG LRFD22850 Bottom Freezer Refrigerator...
Jul 27, 2014 | Maytag MFI2568AES Stainless Steel Bottom...
May 25, 2014 | Hotpoint HSS25GFP Side by Side...
Mar 16, 2014 | Samsung RF267ABRS Side by Side Bottom...
Jun 04, 2017 | Samsung RF217ACPN - 20 cu. ft. French Door...
Jul 16, 2009 | Refrigerators
Jun 12, 2009 | GE (PSS26MSRSS) Side by Side Refrigerator
May 28, 2009 | Roper RS22AQXKQ Side by Side Refrigerator
Dec 03, 2017 | Samsung CoolTech Plus / Basic Bottom Mount...
Jun 28, 2014 | Kenmore 53642 / 53644 Side by Side...
Jun 26, 2014 | Kenmore 53642 / 53644 Side by Side...
194 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: