I bought a GE microwave model no. JVM142K004 in March 1994. Yest. it worked fine but today it quit heating. Every thing lights up, pad works and motor runs but does not heat. Should I just get another microwave considering the age. Thanks Joyce
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Motor runs but does not heat
You most likely have a bad door switch or a bad magnetron.
You or a friend can fix the door switch problem for about $10 or less. If it needs a magnetron, that can run anywhere from $40-120, depending on which magnetron it has and whether you can get a generic replacement.
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number (without the suffix) here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Is this an over the stove type unit? I have had a few problems with my over the range spacesaver. I think the heat from cooking gets up into the microwave and damages it. The steam from me boiling things on the stove had mine quit heating and I purchased a new one. The parts to replace the faulty ones can be quite expensive over $150.00, so its better to purchase a new microwave.
Generally if everything else looks like it is working fine, then the magnetron has quit and needs to be replaced. The magnetron is the part that heats the food. Unfortunately, it is common for this part to fail on GE microwaves and it isn't worth replacing as the cost of the part is almost the same as buying a new microwave.
Let me know how this works out for you.
Almost certainly the magnetron tube in your oven shorted and caused the light show and sound effects. This is the microwave source, and without the waves there's no heat. The tube is replaceable, but it's a costly parts. Add in repair labor, and you'd be better off replacing the oven. New ones are often cheaper than the parts alone today.
If you want it fixed call sears for service. I would not recommend
taking this microwave apart if you dont work on them for a living. only
because there are 14 million thing that need to be remove to do a
Our GE over-the-range microwave stopped producing heat yesterday while warming part of the T-giving feast. Everything else (fan, control panel, light) works fine.
After disassembly and testing last night, I discovered a defective "secondary door switch." Your Kenmore uses a similar switch (~$19 on-line), and that might be the problem. But it also could be other things, such as a bad thermal cut-out.
If you know anyone who's handy with a multimeter, most of the basic diagnostics seem to be pretty straightforward.
Since you say it's new, it should be under warranty.
I would call GE (see your owner's manual) to get a local authorized service center.
Then while you're on the phone with the service center, you can start it up and hold the phone close to it to demonstrate to the technician how loud it is.
They should be able to tell you if it will be covered under warranty so you get it fixed free.