My fiancee lent her brother this laptop hes forgot the password for the hdd is there anything i can do to recover it? the password is 8 digits soon as you boot it up you get 3 trys the hdd unit is 80gb my fiancee is distraught because she has photos of her grandma she needs to recover as she has recently passed away please help!!!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
To delete the Acer Aspire Notebook HDD user password, go to http://www.unlockbiosrecovery.com/Unlock_Acer_HDD.php
The link above will show you to enter 3 wrong password and then copy down the 5 or 8 digit code it displays with Disabled message. Purchase the Acer HDD master password from the link above and submit the code and your model and they will email you the bios master password to unlock your Acer HDD in an hour.. They guarantee it to work or your money back and I have used them successfully dozens of times, saving me a ton of time and money.
I have the same concern as yours I hope that the procedural that I did could help you as well.
1. removed hdd from laptop`s tray (with power OFF)
2. powered ON the laptop and entered in BIOS SETUP
3. as the hdd was removed the BIOS read at 1st ata device
but i was able to select field, which had
4. select option and the "manual" options for the hdd appear
5. don`t change anything, remain on that page and insert the HDD drive
in the tray. as it powers up the bios completed me the field vith the
values for my hdd automatically.
6. go back to the field "1st ata device" and selected the option
7. go to the bios SECURITY section and in the field "HDD Password" enter
a password of your choice (but remember or note it down)
8. EXIT the bios setup and SAVE CHANGES (and reboot)
9. at the HDD prompt i found now the password matched the one i entered
10. run the bios setup again and remove the hdd password for easy use purpose..
that`s it, how it did work for me. now, i believe this steps to be usefull for anyone else.
my bios type is award medallion v6.0 but i hope to work on other versions as well...
This is from a factory repair and maintenance manual for Acer Aspire Laptops. It may work for you.
Forgotten Hard Disk Password
When the user keys in the wrong password three times, an error message appears. The user must now reset
1. Make a note of the error code that is displayed with the error message.
2. Run unlock6.exe from the DOS prompt in the following format:
unlock6 XXXXX 00
(XXXXX = HDD password error code, 00 = CRC base - default is 00)
3. Select Upper case ACSII Code from the screen that appears. The HDD master password is displayed.
Make a note of this password.
4. Reset your system. When the Enter Primary Master HDD User Password prompt appears, enter the
password you made a note of in step 3.
Resetting a BIOS Password
The user can reset a BIOS password using the clnpwd.exe utiility.
1. Copy clnpwd.exe to a DOS boot up disk (or flash drive).
2. Boot your system in DOS mode.
3. Execute clnpwd.exe from the boot up disk (or flash drive).
4. Press 1 or 2 to reset the required password as shown on screen.
5. A confirmation message appears when the process is successful.
From what I understand, the hard drive can be set with a password so the drive can't be used in any other computer or even opened if stolen. It is different from windows or bios passwords, and no password unlocker can open it.
You need to call the manufactor of the pc, and have all the information about the computer handy so it can be proven you are the legal owner. They are the only ones that I know of that might be able to reset or disable the HD password.