255w in a loop - loading maps, then restarts...can't recharge
Bought a 255w one week ago and used it successfully for 4 days. Had it plugged into lighter for recharging. On 5th day, Garmin won't turn on. Assume battery dead, but when I plug it in, it goes into a loop - Garmin logo, 'loading maps', two beeps...repeat...repeat...etc...until you unplug. Assume the battery is dead, but it won't charge without going into the never-ending loop. Have removed SD card, same problem. Have tried whole process with wall charger, too. Same thing. Am not able to do a hard reset. Just continuing loop. Advice?
Re: 255w in a loop - loading maps, then restarts...can't...
I had something similar happen to my 785 on a 4000 mile trip. I was on hold on the phone with Garmin for 49 minutes before the call was dropped. On my own in rural Iowa somewhere between Grinnell and Decorah, I fixed mine by getting darn fast at drilling down to a reset to defaults button. It took a few times but by the 7th or 8th try I was able to get to Settings, Restore Defaults, and finish the restore process. After the Restore the unit has worked fine for another day of driving.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Unfortunately there is always a delay between roads getting built and maps getting updated, verified, and finally into products in the shops. On top of all that, the nuvi 255w is a model which has been available for a while now, so if the store had your example lying in stock for a number of months it may also have spent a few months before that in a warehouse before supply to the retailer. Your 18 month to 2 years may sound plenty of time to ensure that your unit has the latest mapping, but in reality it may effectively be the best part of a whole year less.
Garmin recognise that this is a problem so have the "nuMaps Guarantee program". If you buy a new nuvi and register the product within 60 days of it first being turned on and acquiring a satellite signal, you will be offered one free map update subject to simple conditions. To find out what they are, click here.
To find out more about which map updates are available and how to install them, click here.
I hope that my answer has been of use; please take a moment to rate my reply.
Please check the rear charging port to see if its loose. This is a common problem and if the connector is loose, the battery will never charge and the unit will die at loading the maps. Please see this link for more info:
The problem was following the Garmin instructions too closely. What I found via a GPS forum was that some USB cables can be finicky and trying different USB cables may solve the problem. In my case I found I had to turn the nuvi 255W on normally during registration; then connect the USB cable to device and PC. Then the registration and download worked. The documentation is not clear on this.
Found I had the latest map; but did upgrade my firmware from 5.90 to 6.10.
I am in the same boat as you.. I am on my 2nd 255w unit as well. The first one lasted 2 weeks. This one about 45 days. The thing I noticed, which may be coincidence, is I updated the software and map a couple days prior on each unit before problem occured. Last night the 2nd one lost satelite for about 5 hrs, an area I deliver pizza's in everday with no other problems. No mountains, no tall buidlings, yet I decided then to power off unit completely, stand outside and turn unit on. I waited about 10 minutes then put 255w back in vehicle in which at that time still was not working. But 30 minutes later when I got back into vehicle it was working again for the rest of the night. Not sure if standing outside corrected or not, but it is working again. I would be curious to know if the software update and map update plays a part in the problem.