I got my mp3 for christmas. i have been trying to solve this problem for a month now and to no prevail. it will not let me synchronize. sometimes it says it does but then i turn my mp3 on and nothing is there. it wont let me delete, or anything. i have no songs on it whatsoever. i tried creating another folder but it like disapeared. i dont know what to do and i dont want to have to take it back. is there anything i can do to fix this? please i need help
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
That's the problem with DRM licensing. Do yourself a favor - only download mp3 format songs to the player, and you will never have this problem. If you want to use SpiralFrog, delete all songs that are on your mp3 player now, make sure your spiral frog sub allows transfer rights, and reload the songs.
Here's the deal with WMA files - once your subscription expires (or really, the license on the WMA file expires) - you will have to renew your music service subscription or the song will no longer play on your device.
Use Mp3 format songs - they'll never give you this problem.
You must resynchronize to the msuic service (probably Rhapsody) every 30 days with this player, or you will get that error message. Two ways to solve:
1) Keep renewing your paid subscription to Rhapsody every month
2) Convert the files you downloaded from Rhapsody into Mp3 format
That means you will need to transfer one track to your device from rhapsody..the songs you have from rhapsody has a license in them...the licenses get renew every month..that means if you discontinue your service, you are not going to be able to play those songs...just try to transfer one track from rhapsody to your device and that will solve your problems...
I don't know about converting the MP3s to WMAs, but I had the same problem with "corrupt files."
What fixed that for me was instead of dragging and dropping files onto the Sansa, I synchronized them using Windows Media player, but only do 10-20 songs at a time, because if you try to do too many, they probably won't show up. I know it's tedious and annoying, but that's what did it for mine :) I hope this helps.
In order to play your song you will need to try to transfer one track to that device...once you do that all the songs should acquire new licenses...you need to transfer tracks to your device once a month in order to play the songs...you should be able to play your purchased tracks....if not you might need to format the device inside WMP....then you need to check the licenses on your purchased tracks to make sure they dont have any restrictions...if you have any questions...email@example.com