My dryer sparks when i push the start button.
The fact that you can see one of the wires is burnt suggests ( that it is a wire on the power cord). If that is not true, please elaborate on exactly which wire you saw that was burnt. I am assuming it is the power cord and will walk you thru changing it. First off, you need to unplug that cord from teh power receptacle. If there is any question regarding the insulation on the dryer power cord, I would encourage you to remve or disable power to the receptacle in your circuit breaker box. Once power has been disabled, unplug the dryer cord from the receptacle. Make note of the plug end and determine it is a 3 prong or 4 prong configuration. If unsure, cut that cord off the dryer and bring it with you when you get a replacement. Most home good departement stores liek Home Depot or Lowes sell replacement power cords for this very purpose. Once you get a replacement cord, slide the dryer away from the wall so that you have ample rooom to get to the back of it.
Note where the existing ( original ) cord penetrates thru the back of the dryer cabinet ( normally thru a pass thru with a cable clamp). Loosen the cable clamp screws to free the cord up and also remove the access cover near it so that you can see where it is wired in. With the cover removed, you should see a terminal block where the power cord lugs are connected. Make note of the colors associated with these connections. They are normally red, white, black and/or green. The red and black lines are the actual supply line ( power) and are commonly terminated on either side of the neutral line ( normally a white line). The green wire is normally the ground connection and is tied to the dryer frame someplace. The ground wire termination varies from mfr to mfr and model to model but the end result is that it is bonded to the frame of the dryer. So, when installing the replacement cord, pass it thru the cable clamp and over to the terminal block. Then install one wire at a time and based on the colored ends to match what you presently have. Make sure you tighten the screws that hold the wire lugs snuggly .. Loose connections here, have been known to cause resistive junctions and get hot enough to cause fires so make sure these screws are tight. Then, tighten the cable clamp so that it locks the cord in place and doesn't slide freely inside that clamp.
When all wires have been installed, plug in the cord to the receptacle and switch on the circuit breaker. Before positioning the dryer back against the wall, try running it for a minute or two without any clothes in it to make sure it operates correctly ( heats up and the drum rotates) The exhaust from electric dryers ( albeit, not healthy) can be vented into a room for a minute or two while you test things. Gas dryers should not be allowed to vent into a room. Hopefully this will resolve your problem. Feel free to send me a follow up notice if you are experiencing another problem not associated with the cord.
Jan 05, 2009 |
Whirlpool GEW9250 Electric Dryer