My 3 1/2 yr old GE profile spacemaker microwave stopped heating.
Service tells me the magnetron needs to be replaced, In order to do this the unit has to be removed from the wall where it is mounted over the stove. My question is does the unit really have to be taken down? I thought the repair was made by removing the control panel on the right front.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: My 3 1/2 yr old GE profile spacemaker microwave...
Some components can be replaced from the front, but not the high voltage parts including the magnetron.
You can download GE
owner's manuals and installation instructions here. They make it easier to remove from the wall.
You can usually find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full
model number here.
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
our Web site, we have a video
available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years)
but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your
manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or
the labor charge to do the work.
Some manufacturers will
send you the magnetron to do it yourself. If
nothing else, you can save about $75 by taking it to the shop yourself.
GE Customer Service is here if you want to request a magnetron.
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
From your description it sounds like the magnetron has failed in this oven. That's the part the makes the microwaves to heat the food. It typically fails by shorting out and making a loud hum noise. It not usually worth fixing since the price of a replacement magnetron is almost as much as a new oven.
The unit was taken into a repair shop. The repairman said the magnetron shorted out and the unit failed. Fortunately, the unit had a 5 yr warrantee on the magnetron (1-yr on everything else). Total out of pocket costs are estimated at $65 to reinstall a new magnetron plus the aggravation of two weeks without a microwave. Those are pretty handy devices to be without!
the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.
Hi, this is common in most microwaves. this abnormal noise is coming from a faulty Magnetron. this device is responsible for the heating process and, it is damaged and not heating at all at this point.Simply replace the Magnetron and, this unit will start to heat once more.
More than likely the magnetron has failed. This could be for a number of reason. Do you use your microwave to heat wheat packs or warm plates? If so, you may have dried the magnetron out (they use the moisture in whatever you're cooking to heat it, and plates/wheat bags have no moisture).
I'd say a trip to your local Microwave repairer could be in order. It could also be the High Voltage Fuse which has failed. Either way a repairer will be able to tell you!
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell which part the microwave needs without opening it up for examination. There are a few parts that, if defective, would prevent the oven from heating.
a high voltage transformer which passes energy to the magnetron
a magnetron which converts high-voltage electric energy to microwave radiation
a magnetron control circuit (usually with a microcontroller)
This is NOT a repair that you would want to attempt yourself. The labor for the repair would cost a minimum of $50 and shouldn't exceed $100. You'll also have to pay for the necessary part if it's still available from the manufacture or their parts distributor.
This should have a one-year full parts and labor warranty, then another several years on the magnetron, typically 9 years.
A typical service call for this might run about $175 for the visit and repair labor, assuming the magnetron is still covered under warranty. Compare that to the cost of buying and installing a comparable oven.
Your owner's manual will tell you how long the magnetron warranty is.
You can save that home visit charge and get a diagnosis for about $25 or so by removing it from the wall and taking it to the nearest GE-authorized servicer.
so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
I have a GE over the range space saver microwave that was only 18 mos. old when it stopped heating. GE replaced the magnetron for us at no charge but since we did not have a service contract - they charged us $200 to install it. It only cost $375 new installed. Your choice.