I was changing the lightbulbs under my Whirpool microwave, that shine above the stove, and one of the bulbs broke off leaving the base still in the socket. When this happened the microwave clock just shut down and I realized the microwave had stopped working entirely. I unplugged the microwave (guessing I should have done that first) and removed the base of the bulb with some pliers. I checked my circuit breaker and no fuse had been blown. There was still power to the outlet where the microwave plugged in, so the problem is with my microwave. Do you think I blew a fuse in the microwave itself? If so, is there a way to check and is this repair something a non-technical person can do? I was hoping there was a reset button somewhere. The model # is MH7110XBB1 if this helps.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: Microwvae won't work
Techy, that's where I would start. There is an internal fuse. Sometimes there up front where we can get at them and somestimes we have to drop the whole oven and remove the wrapper. Unplug the microwave and remove the upper grill by removing the two screws holding it on. It will pull off forward. The control panel has 1 screw on top, remove it and lift up and tilt out. See if you can see the fuse cradle and fuse. 20 amp, part number 4358704. The diagram I have shows it more toward the back but these diagrams can be wrong. If you don't see the fuse behind the control panel you probably will have to drop the oven and remove the wrapper. Catriver..post back.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
We see and repair this a lot. The problem is on the controller assembly.
There is a video here showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
This light failure often occurs when a bulb goes out and the filament shorts, or when the bulbs are removed or installed without first unplugging the oven from the power line. Either can cause such a failure on the controller.
The lights can can be inoperable or stuck on or stuck in "night light" mode. Sometimes this will similarly affect the fan operation or inside light, too.
When this happens, a lot of the time, it is because the the old bulb burnt up violently or it was unscrewed with the power still on to the unit and if the wires on the bottom of the bulb were twisted together, it probably blew a trace off of the back of the circuit board that supplies power to te bulbs. So either need to find someone to repair the circuit board or buy a new one if you can put it in, if not, need to call a servicer to replace it. But caution, thay are not cheap!!! Always unplug you microwave BEFORE replacing the bulbs!!!!!
Under the stove top should be a small panel the light emits from. One side of it should have a regular Phillips screw. Unscrew it and the panel should open. It is not hinged so you have to carefully work it open.
Once open you should be able to see and then unscrew the bulb, I was able to find a replacement at Home Depot. The installed bulb was 40w, but I was only able to find a 25w replacement. Seems to work just fine though.
Once replaced, just work the panel back on and screw back in.
probably caused a short while replacing the bulb(s) and, causing damage to the circuit board. pull the board out and carefully check for burned foil traces; and rebridge with solder. it may or may not work. always unplug the microwave when replacing the range lamps.
To allow us to help you effectively (at no charge), please post a NEW problem to FixYa, and please
include your brand name and the full model number from the tag in or on
the unit, your symptoms, "how to change cooktop lamps" for example.
i know this is going to make no sense . but in my samsung service cd it is in BOLD PRINT YOU MUST DISCONECT POWER BEFORE REPLACEING BULBS , OR DAMAGE TO TIMER WILL RESULT ! the first time you changed them did you disconect power ? if not , your board might be toast , $$$$$$$$$
the clear rubber is from the factory to keep the bulb from turning you need to cut this before you can replace the bulb . thats why the first bulb broke . there is no trick to getting them out , see if there is a glue strip on the broken bulb that if you chip off it will then turn . just be carefull what ever you do . ge thinks there microwave will die before the lights burn out ! it screams of there trust in there products . good luck
two VERY important things... first, turn off the breaker (power) to the unit, and second, do NOT touch the bulb with your bare hands (use thin gloves or rubber gloves), you don't want to get any thing on the bulb, like grease. I don't know this exact model but, to remove the bulb, there should be a grill on top of the microwave, take that off and there should be a panel above the bulb inside, remove that and you should be able to reach the bulb now.