There is an electric burning smell when my "Electric Kenmore Dryer" is running. I have it unplugged and the top of the dryer off right now, and it seems to smell like it is coming from the timer switch on the control panel. Should I just replace that part?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
you must disassemble the unit and clean the lint out of the heating unit area, it is lint catching fire and could be dangerous to continue using your unit in this condition. a vacuum cleaner should do well to clean the lint and the drum must be removed to do a proper cleaning
If this is a new element, this is normal until it has been used a few cycles. Use it and watch it carefully for a while. If it continues have a competent person to take the rear panel off and check for burnt wires or lint inside the unit.
Disconnect the dryer from your vent completely,. pull dryer out 3 ft. from wall and test to see if the smell continues, You have to test for a few minutes to clear out any burning lint from vent restrictions. If the smell hoes away then you know you have venting problems. Also check on the grate that covers the element( the part you look through when you see the orange glow from the element) sometimes plastic or clothing burns onto this grate and needs to be cleaned off. I the smell remains, you will have to tear down the dryer to see if you can find the cause of the smell.
Access is from the front. Lint screen on top? 2 screws under screen, putty knife to release front clips between top and cabinet. Top folds back and 2 5/16 screws in top corners. Lean front towards you then lift up off lower hangers. Good luck..... eric
burned out element probably to much lint on the element and motor unplug dryer and take back off and use a vacume to vacume up all the lint and look at the element to see if they are broken they are fairly cheap .cheaperthan a new dryer also check the belt it mighjt be broken
you can unplug the unit , and reomve the lower aces panel (3 screws along the front bottom of unit) youll probalby see an excess of lint built up in which case you can vacuum it out, and then check/clean and or replace your dryer vent
If this is a Kenmore Elite front loader, taking the back off isn't going to tell you much. The heating element is inside the dryer under the drum on the right hand side. More than likely you have an accumulation of lint on the heating element housing and its beginning to smolder. Running the dryer on low will not change the fact that you have lint in close proximity to a glowing element. It will still burn. Here is a link you can look at that gives you some advice on dryers:
You will need to unplug the dryer and remove the lower panel under the door to gain access to the heating circuits. If you have lint backing up into the dryer, you need to investigate why. If its been a while since you've inspected your dryer ventilation ducting, it would probably be a good idea to do so. Everything is in the link I provided for you. I hope this helps.
PS Conitued running of a dryer in this condition can cause the heating circuits to overheat and fail and/or cause a fire.