Question about Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
There is currrent to both lights and the lights are good, but the switch on the pad doesn't do anything. The current is there and the bulbs are good but they don't come on.
We see (and repair) this
a lot. The problem is on the control panel, which
we regularly repair nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in about a
At our Web site, you can get details of our service, plus we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
This light failure often occurs when a bulb goes out and the filament shorts, or when the bulbs are removed or installed without first unplugging the oven from the power line. Either can cause such a failure on the controller.
This can often also affect the exhaust fan operation, too. The lights and fan can be inoperable or stuck on too.
Feel free to contact me directly (and please remind me of your full model number) for more information & help.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
William E. Miller
Posted on Dec 17, 2008
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 29, 2015 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 05, 2012 | GE Microwave Ovens
Make sure that the program controller is working if not check power - step down supply, the pads are responding- if not faulty pads- or the door switches, if the switch contact are not good then it will not trigger the processor to switch on the waveguides.Since in this case the power level cannot be changed it seems the pads are faulty or the processor has hung up. If so the controller board is a suspect.
If the lights or fan work without any display or action of program being triggered to start then it can be a possible fault on the main board or the processor. Sometimes insect secretion can short the board and display panel and so the processor can work in such an erratic manner. If so clean,solder and reset the board.Now identify the parts by clicking this link: http://www.espares.co.uk/advice/microwave/a/5/141/identifying-microwave-parts.html
If there is no heating please do not switch on unless you have confirmed the fault. It is possible that the Magnetron is faulty, the temperature cut off is faulty or the main capacitor is short. It is also quite possible that insect can get into the oven and create soft spots. When you switch on these will create a short and make the voltage jump and in the long run damage the magnetron.
So Remove cover after disconnecting , check for dirt/moisture in the cabin, if so wipe clean and dry, check the magnetron and area clean and use an jet air to clean off. Check the wave guide covers, if food had deposited
then it must be checked or replaced.
Now keeping clear of the microwave, switch on, use a cup of water inside to test.
If you notice any sparks shut off as the magnetron or the main HT capacitor can be faulty. replace with same type.
If there is heating without any issues, you can use the microwave safely
Thank You for using FIXYA.
Sep 06, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens
Apr 24, 2011 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens
Nov 12, 2017 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Jul 18, 2017 | Danby DMW1406 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Jan 18, 2010 | Samsung Microwave Ovens
Mar 24, 2009 | Magic Chef CMV1000B Microwave Oven
Jun 11, 2008 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven
28 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!