Question about HP PhotoSmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
I'm having a major problem with my scanning. Generally it will work through the HP Solution Center, but with that I've got to preview, crop, and scan rather than just scan quickly, which is what I was doing with Photosmart 2.5. Photosmart is much easier and quicker to use.
So when it's working, I click scan on the printer and it asks which computer to scan to, but 90% of the time now when I click scan it just starts scanning and says "USB or Wireless not connected". When it's doing this, it won't work while plugged in either. The odd thing is that regardless of whether the scanner is working or not, the printing always works wirelessly.
Ok - the reason this error pops up is because there is a software issue going on. If the software is correctly installed you will see options for where the scan will go in the computer.
Having said that there are several things that can cause a problem between the printer and the software;
1) You are connecting the printer by USB to router - you may print but will never be able to scan as this is not a networkable printer. Connect it directly to your computer and recomplete the setup portion to configure the scanner.
2) You have not finished the setup. At the end of the installer you can setup the scanner but if you skipped this step you will have to redo it in order for it to connect. Click on the device manager in your dock and then next to information and settings there will be a little wheel. Click on the wheel and go to setup assistant. Complete the assistant and try to scan.
3) The printer is not grabbing the new software options - leave the printer turned on but unplug the power cord and wait for 30 seconds. Plug printer back in - when you do this it should initialize and will look to the mac for changes and the options should load.
4) Software missing - You MUST have the software for the printer installed for scanning function. Adobe and other programs cannot replace it - it has to be installed.
5) Software is corrupted. Uninstall the software (uninstaller is under applications in the HP folder) and then download (www.hp.com) and install the most recent full feature software and drivers for your operating system.
6) If all these steps fail you may have an issue with your computer and it's TWAIN drivers.
Posted on Jan 17, 2009
I could only figure out a work-around Go to Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras> Click on the device e.g. HP Photosmart xxxx
Posted on Mar 20, 2009
Browser based updates such as Adobe Flash are overwriting certain system files that the HP Scan depends on. The day your SCAN operation failed, you downloaded some update from your browser. The HP install is flawed for re-installs and there is a good chance this procedure will fail - I restored from GHOST.
Posted on Sep 12, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 26, 2009 | HP Office Equipment & Supplies
Dec 09, 2009 | HP PhotoSmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
Oct 26, 2009 | HP PhotoSmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
Sep 28, 2009 | HP PhotoSmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
Mar 28, 2009 | HP PhotoSmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
Jan 17, 2009 | HP PhotoSmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
Dec 05, 2008 | HP PhotoSmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
Apr 14, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Feb 17, 2014 | HP PhotoSmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
5,561 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: