Question about Riding Mowers & Garden Tractors
The drive belt for the thrower mechanism keeps breaking sometimes as quickly as 2 passes down the driveway. its a 5 year old sears 5.5 hp model. the cables on the handle bars are extremely loose ? i need to know how to properly adjust the cable and what is causing the belts to keep breaking. sears sends two belts with an order for one, they must know something about why the belts keep breaking???
part # 94-8812 is traction belt 106-4498 auger belt
There is a service bulltin on this I have not seen this yet, Ill paste it for you to look at .
this was issued dec 22-2003 you would think that it would have shown up as a problem by now.
UNITS AFFECTED: Model Number(s): Serial Number(s):
38621 (Int'l.) 240000001-240999999
38635 (Int'l.) 240000001-240999999
38645 (Int'l.) 240000001-240999999
SUBJECT: Traction belt jumps off the pulley.
SITUATION: Incorrect pulley alignment causes the traction belt to jump off, usually when the drive is disengaged or as a hill is crested.
1. Remove the belt cover, engine belt guide and the bolt securing the crankshaft pulley.
2. Remove the auger brake assembly.
3. Remove the crankshaft pulley and the auger belt.
4. On the left side of the machine, remove the hair pin cotter from the speed control link and slide the link out of the pulley pivot assembly. The traction belt can now be removed.
5. Shorten the pulley half nearest the engine (PN 106-7334) shown in Fig 1. Grind or machine 1/8” (.125”/3.2mm). from the hub end of the pulley. The new finished length of the pulley half should be 1.07” (2.7cm).
6. Chamfer the bore to ensure the pulley fully contacts the shoulder on the crankshaft. You can send the pulley to an outside machine shop if you do not feel that you can modify the pulley in house.
7. Reinstall the pulley with a new traction belt.
A. Chamfer edge after grinding/machining.
B. Remove 1/8”.
C. Masking tape used as a reference line.
8. With the engine off, engage both the traction and auger levers and inspect the alignment of both the auger and traction belt idler pulleys (Fig. 2). Since we have moved the crankshaft pulley it may be necessary to bend the idler arms slightly to center the belts. Adjust as needed.
9. Install the engine belt guide and test operate.
10. Install the belt covers.
PARTS: P/N 94-8812 Traction Belt
Posted on Feb 10, 2009
its possible the belt may not be on the correct pullies. check the diagram and make sure it is routed correctly.the guy i bought my used mower from had same problem. i corrected belt route and have not broke a belt in the two years i've had it
Posted on Apr 13, 2009
SOURCE: drive belt
You may find that you have the wrong belt - I bought a belt for the correct model and then found that there are two different sizes depending on the exact model - they are 3 inches different in length for my model CTH160 113" and 110". Got correct belt and fits properly now.
Posted on May 16, 2009
Belts will have spring tension on the idler pulleys.
Both traction and auger control cables will also have cable length adjustments to cause the travel of levers or idler pulleys to tighten belts. Adjustments are commonly located under the control panel/levers.
Posted on Dec 04, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 30, 2012 | Riding Mowers & Garden Tractors
Jan 19, 2011 | Riding Mowers & Garden Tractors
Jan 13, 2011 | Ariens 34 In. Zoom Series Riding Mower
Jan 13, 2011 | Craftsman 16" High Garden Tractor Snow and...
Jan 01, 2011 | Riding Mowers & Garden Tractors
Dec 29, 2010 | Riding Mowers & Garden Tractors
Dec 28, 2010 | Ariens 34 In. Zoom Series Riding Mower
Feb 26, 2010 | Craftsman 16" High Garden Tractor Snow and...
Dec 10, 2009 | Agri-Fab Agri - Fab Snow Blower - 42"
128 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: