Question about Panasonic NN-T774SF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

On for 2-3 seconds and shuts down with slight wire burning odor.

My microwave goes on for 2-3 seconds then shuts down with a "wire-burning type" odor and the remaining time cancels out also, but the clock continues to work. Repair or replace? Thanks.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Panasonic Master
  • 8,795 Answers
Re: On for 2-3 seconds and shuts down with slight wire...

Http:// is showing this model selling for as little as $100. But as a technician, I have never cared for the inverter models. As complexity increases...

Posted on Mar 21, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a GE Advantium microwave model 2001 scb2001 03. It stopped working in the middle of a cooking and power goes completely out. A few days before that there was metal odor when using microwave

Betty, it sounds like you might have 2 problems and the power shutting off could be an end result of the metal odor you described. The power shutting off, more than likely is just a blown fuse. That is usually a simple and in-expensive repair. The metal odor could come from either your magnetron or from the high voltage transformer. Either one of those is going to be a rather expensive repair and if repair part stores in your area are anything like in my town, unless you repair them for a living or know someone who does, you can have some difficulty in getting those parts. Sorry for the bad news, but it might be simpler to just replace the microwave.

Feb 05, 2015 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The microwave will run but not heat the food, then it smelled like burning wires.

From your description the magnetron has stopped working and the strong odor is a further indication that this is the problem.

Apr 05, 2011 | Amana ACM1580AS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Problem with the Whirlpool GH5184XPQ 1100 Watts Microwave Oven: In turning the microwave on this morning, a faint electric sparking was heard. Upon shutting it off and opening the door an acrid burning...

The problem is that the magnetron is arcing when it is running and it has found a couple bare spots 'exposing the metal'. The microwave uses a special industrial white enamel paint to prevent arcing, it is very important that the oven be removed from service until the situation is rectified otherwise there is a danger of shorting out the magnetron.

Feb 22, 2011 | Whirlpool GH5184XPQ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Noise & vibration

Sounds like Magnetron MAY have shorted or an HV rectifier shorted.

Also there is a resonating cap for the current limiting trnansformer typically. That may have shorted.

Repair shop is in order.

Oct 07, 2009 | Kenmore 60659 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Microwave strats, runs, but not heating and have bad odor

there should be 4 screws holding it in.. and one plastic connector with 2 wires in it that are plugged onto the mag..
the seal would be the gold colored mesh around the antenna of the mag. when you take the microwave down you would take the cover off and if looking at it from the back you would look towards the right side and there should be a thermostat there that may have started to burn up. if it is replace it and the wires.. the mag you just unscrew remove and install the new mag.

Jan 19, 2009 | GE JE1540 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM 2070 shuts off

My unit does the same thing - it will often simply power down or power down and display garbage on the control panel within a second or two of starting operation.  I have found in my case this seems related to slight obstruction preventing the exhaust hood from pivoting to the open position at the top of the unit.  Mechanical misalignment of the pivoting fan panel seems to cause a motor overdraw, or something similar, which shuts down the unit.  I've found that I can usually slide the pivoting fan panel a mm or so to the right or left, usually right (oddly), and then the panel will swivel unimpeded and the microwave will work.  As my unit has cabinets above it, I believe that over time there has been sufficient physical contact/impact with the pivoting exhaust panel to slightly deform it, affecting its ability to freely rotate down from the vertical.

Sep 24, 2008 | GE JVM2070 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Odor of burned popcorn!!

The smoke has permeated the works, so a more aggressive cleaning will be needed.

There are many good suggestions for cleaning and deodorizing microwaves here.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jul 27, 2008 | Jenn-Air JMV8208AAS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat

A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave quit

I would suspect either door switches or an intermittent control circuit board, either of which can be repaired. Opening the door while cooking (without first hitting the STOP pad) is the primary cause of door switch failure over time. I have a text file on my site called "doorsw.txt" which helps in diagnosing and repairing door switch problems. You can find the file via a Google search. It will help you check and replace the door switches if you or an able friend is so inclined. In some cases, the problem is a bad connection or a bad relay on the control board. That's something we see fairly often, and we repair them for only $32.50 nationwide.

Oct 12, 2006 | Panasonic NN-T990SA Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Shuts Off after 22 seconds

Time to buy a new microwave as it sounds as if the control panel is defective. A new control panel for this micro will run about 95 to 120 bucks + labor depending on where you buy it. I happen to like slightly burnt popcorn as well!! Nothing wrong with thats, as they say great minds think alike.

Aug 25, 2006 | Panasonic NN-S933BF Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Panasonic NN-T774SF Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

350 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Panasonic Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Panasonic Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides